Calling all partition experts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM
Alright guys I'm hoping you can shed some light. I have the intel Macbook with a 160 gig hard drive. I am trying to set it up to where I have three partitions - one mac, one windows, and one for all of my files (music, dvds, pictures etc). That way I can download all the files onto the third partition and not have to worry about locating them in each operating system.

Well I all ready had vista and osx running on here with bootcamp and found it impossible to shrink the vista partition down any smaller than 50 gb (was trying to get it down to 35). Now I just have my 35 gb mac partition and the rest is free space.

Sooooo what I am asking is how would I go about creating another 35 gb partition for windows and have the free space left over? I tried making the mac partition 70 gb then using bootcamp to divide the partitions equally, however when I went to XP setup it said the bootcamp partition was 111 gb (the rest of the hard drive).

Thanks for any help guys.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM
Well I have somewhat solved it. I decided to make the mac partition fill the hard drive then use boot camp to make the Windows partition only 35 gb and leave the mac partition at 120. Installed windows came back and resized the mac partition to 35 gb. Now I have 77 gb free space but the disk utility will not let me create a new partition. How can I format this free space into a third partition that I can use as a swap space?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM
Arghhhh this is driving me nuts. I got EXTREMELY close to having it figured out. I used bootcamp to partition a windows partition at 35 gb then before installing windows I used the disk utility to resize the mac partition to 35 gb and had the free space but then windows wouldn't boot.

Someone please help :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The trick is not to use bootcamp as it only supports 2 partitions - mac osx and windows.

You should manually partition your drive into 3 (mac, storage, windows) - windows has to live on the last partition.

Now install windows, install drivers from leopard disk.

Not sure what format you intend to use on your storage partition but that's another debate altogether.

There are several multi boot guides that will help you (even though you don't want to add linux to your middle partition, this guide, especially the Boot Camp & partitioning bit will fill in the technical details that I have conveniently skirted over)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Let's think simplicity here guys.... If you haven't already figured it out jd, you might wanna try GParted. You can resize, create, delete, etc. It runs on a LiveCD and of course it's Linux-based.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.