• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

FS: Computer Never Been Smoked Around (LOL)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
is it me or does anyone else crack up when they read a for sale ad for a computer that reads " never been smoked around" ?

i RARELY have a smoke these days and never indoors but what kind of selling point is that?

when i did smoke i was doing it indoors and heavy around a Packard Bell computer (HAHAHA) with shabby parts and that thing still fires up (i only keep it because it cracks me up to read the specs).

just to be on the safe side i took my Packard to the PC Doctor and i was informed that although he "smoked heavily" for nearly 5 years and is now almost 20 he has the fan speed of a 15 year old. thank goodness :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
is it me or does anyone else crack up when they read a for sale ad for a computer that reads " never been smoked around" ?

Nah... it's just you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Back in the day, when smoking was more common, I purchased a few used computers from smokers. The smell of the smoke tends to pervade the machine and the fans circulate it out of the case and into the room, so it ends up leaving a smokey smell when operating. Also, you'd be amazed by what a combination of tar and dust can do to the inside of a machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I remember plastics changing from white to yellow when they came from a house of a smoker.
I've smelled products smokers have owned for just one weekend and thought I took a hit.
I'd never buy anything from a smoker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Yaknow, someone ought to investigate the effects of the nicotiene coating on the electronic parts, if it would it make them less susceptable to say water damage. Myself being a one pack a day man, had a little flood a few years back on the house I was living in.....my main PC at the time based upon a rock solid ASUS mainboard got soaked BAD. full of water up to the processor slot (was a slot 1 Pentium III) I figured she was done for, still and yes I'm serious, still to this day functions at full power, no ill effects aside from a HD swap about 6 months ago......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If the pc wasn't powered on when exposed, water will rarely do any damage as long as it's allowed to dry out before powering on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I think the power went out to the fusebox before it got up to the PC as I leave any system of mine running 24/7.....just surprised that still to this day that old Coppermine system still boots up when commanded, it could be considered a vintage computer by now !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I smoke like I'm on fire and it doesn't seem to bother any of our computers...

However, our hoover blasts out a very strong smokey smell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.