How do you display keystrokes?

Reaction score
Ive been watching a host of TextMate screencasts, and inevitably, when the user enters keystrokes for shortcut commands, there is a nice little gray box towards the top of the screen that displays the keys...

i suppose this could be an effect of the recording software, but i wanted to ask if there was some nifty Mac tool that showed which keystrokes you were entering...

thanks!
steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Just to let you no this has been answered if you look up to rite of the web browser window you will see the search button just to let you know :D

OP
S
Reaction score
yes, thanks for pointing that out.. ;)

i had already search for the phrase "show keystrokes" and came up lacking... im not sure if you understood what i was asking in my question... i know that keyboard shortcuts are available... im wanting to know if, when you enter a shortcut, that the keys are displayed onscreen while typing them (as ive seen in several screencast videos)...

if you know of an improved search term that will get me the results, please let me know! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
KeyCue can show you all available shortcuts:
http://www.macility.com/products/keycue/

If you just want to see keys you're entering, you can also turn that on in System Preferences:
Universal Access > Keyboard "Enable sticky keys" > Display pressed keys on screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
yes, thanks for pointing that out.. ;)

i had already search for the phrase "show keystrokes" and came up lacking... im not sure if you understood what i was asking in my question... i know that keyboard shortcuts are available... im wanting to know if, when you enter a shortcut, that the keys are displayed onscreen while typing them (as ive seen in several screencast videos)...

if you know of an improved search term that will get me the results, please let me know! :)
Ime sorry Dident meen to come across rude, http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113294 there but I dint explain it correctly my apologies.:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.

I hope this is what you're looking for - I'm looking at my keystrokes right now, as I type. It's Keyboard Viewer and is to be found by clicking your keyboard flag in the top menu bar and choosing Show Keyboard Viewer.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you just want to see keys you're entering, you can also turn that on in System Preferences:
Universal Access > Keyboard "Enable sticky keys" > Display pressed keys on screen.

thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for... :)

Reaction score
didn't work

KeyCue can show you all available shortcuts:
KeyCue - find, remember, and learn menu shortcuts

Is there something else I'm supposed to do? It only shows when I press the shift key, but everything else doesn't display. (i'm on a hackintosh, but this shouldn't matter as it's not modified at all)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there something else I'm supposed to do? It only shows when I press the shift key, but everything else doesn't display. (i'm on a hackintosh, but this shouldn't matter as it's not modified at all)
Sticky keys will only do that for modifier keys afaik (shift, command, option…). It's also been changed somewhat since I posted that reply (in 2008)

Reaction score
Sticky keys will only do that for modifier keys afaik.

ok.... so is there an answer? i've seen some youtube videos with like a 50% transparent bar 3/4 of the way up the screen (like CultOfMac) that displays the keystrokes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
ok.... so is there an answer? i've seen some youtube videos with like a 50% transparent bar 3/4 of the way up the screen (like CultOfMac) that displays the keystrokes

That is an effect in iMovie. I am pretty sure but not 100%. Sorry. Hope you find it. If I find anything, I will let you know.

- Kyle

C

chas_m

It's probably not iMovie, it's probably whatever screen-capture program was used, such as Screenflow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, screenflow will do it:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.