How come I can't burn to DVD+R DL?

Reaction score
I'm trying to backup a copy of leopard I'musing a memorex DVD+R DL but I'm getting disk checksum error on 3 disks in a row.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
What? You shouldn't be copying the Leopard DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
As far as I'm aware (at least according to my SPA cert) using a backup copy of media and storing the original is legit. As long as only the original license holder uses it.

There is no encryption, so DMCA would not apply.

Reaction score
Success with burning double-layer and dual-layer disks is somewhat random. Some burners don't like certain media. Finding compatible media for your burner will be a matter of trial and error. If DVD+R disks are giving you trouble, try DVD-R disks instead. Also try switching brands. And, as always, burn at slow speeds.

And by the way, it's legal to make as many back up copies as you want as long as they're only installed on the same machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Success with burning double-layer and dual-layer disks is somewhat random. Some burners don't like certain media. Finding compatible media for your burner will be a matter of trial and error. If DVD+R disks are giving you trouble, try DVD-R disks instead. Also try switching brands. And, as always, burn at slow speeds.

And by the way, it's legal to make as many back up copies as you want as long as they're only installed on the same machine.
My experiences with writeable dual-layer DVDs have always been a bit flakey...
None of the three Macbooks we have like to read them (they often spit them out again the first few tries), so I usually end up reading them in my external DVD drive, which reads them fine.

My advice: If you want a backup, create a disk image of your DVD and if you ever need to reinstall Leopard from your backup "disk", just clone the image onto an external harddrive and install it from there. That's what we do at work with OS X developer seeds and it's also a lot quicker than installing from the DVD!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It's legal if you don't install it on another machine and you keep all of the stuff the original disc came with.

I have used Fuji DL discs. I made a copy of Leopard using one of their discs. I have burned maybe 100 DL Fuji discs and never had one go bad. I have never heard one good thing about Memorex DL discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.