Display dimming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
The display on my iBook keeps dimming on its own. I increase the brightness, then after a few days it is dimmed out again. Is this an indication that I may need a new battery? Any ideas? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Nope. Open System Preferences. Click Display. At the bottom, uncheck the box next to "Automatically adjust brightness". Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Strider said:
Nope. Open System Preferences. Click Display. At the bottom, uncheck the box next to "Automatically adjust brightness". Done.
Strider, you have a whizzbang, whoop-dee-da 17" powerbook that can detect the light in the room you are working in. (I believe to set the keyboard backlight properly)

The iBook doesn't have a light detection sensor, so we don't have that setting in the displays panel...

Scubagal: When does the display dim? After a few minutes of inactivity it is normal for the display to go a bit dark, it saves energy...

Check your setting in the energy saver system preferences tab...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Aptmunich said:
Strider, you have a whizzbang, whoop-dee-da 17" powerbook that can detect the light in the room you are working in. (I believe to set the keyboard backlight properly)

Yea I have a PowerBook. So does the person who posted the query. check his specs. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Sure you ain't wearing shades, in front of your mac?

I heard it's the only was to earn back your street-cred.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
scubagal said:
The display on my iBook keeps dimming on its own. I increase the brightness, then after a few days it is dimmed out again. Is this an indication that I may need a new battery? Any ideas? :confused:

I think the problem was related to his iBook, not his powerbook...

See the original post...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup I see it now. I guess I didn't notice it. No idea how this is done on an iBook. i guess I do have a "whizzbang, whoop-dee-da 17" powerbook" after all ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.