How Should I Get Drivers?

Reaction score
I just partitioned my Macbook Pro hard drive for Windows, but I'm unsure where to get the Windows drivers from.

I had Tiger, and I upgraded to Leopard. There's no setup.exe included on the Tiger disc, right?

Can I get them from the upgrade disc? If so, how does it know to install the drivers I need for a Macbook Pro?

Lastly, as we have a brand new iMac as well, could I use the setup.exe on the iMac disc for my Macbook Pro, or would that install the wrong drivers?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks very much!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just partitioned my Macbook Pro hard drive for Windows, but I'm unsure where to get the Windows drivers from.

I had Tiger, and I upgraded to Leopard. There's no setup.exe included on the Tiger disc, right?

The Leopard disc is formatted specifically so that it mounts and automatically installs the drivers needed in Windows.

Can I get them from the upgrade disc? If so, how does it know to install the drivers I need for a Macbook Pro?

There is no special "upgrade" version of Leopard. The standard, retail version has the drivers built into it.

Lastly, as we have a brand new iMac as well, could I use the setup.exe on the iMac disc for my Macbook Pro, or would that install the wrong drivers?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks very much!

Since Boot Camp is a Leopard-specific feature, you'll need to purchase a copy of Leopard for the iMac as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, that's very helpful.

The one thing I wasn't clear about was on the iMac. The iMac is brand new with Leopard and came with Leopard install discs. I was wondering if I could use the Leopard discs that came with the iMac on my Macbook Pro. Are the drivers the same, or would there be a difference?

Thanks again for the info though, I had no idea there was no specific Leopard Upgrade discs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks, that's very helpful.

The one thing I wasn't clear about was on the iMac. The iMac is brand new with Leopard and came with Leopard install discs. I was wondering if I could use the Leopard discs that came with the iMac on my Macbook Pro. Are the drivers the same, or would there be a difference?

Not only would that be illegal (Leopard is a pay-for upgrade from Tiger), but the discs are specifically tied to the hardware they come with. But since you already purchased a Leopard disc for your MacBook Pro, why wouldn't you just use that disc?

Thanks again for the info though, I had no idea there was no specific Leopard Upgrade discs.

There is just one edition of Leopard - the $129 full version. The only exception is the system discs that accompany a new system.

OP
P
Reaction score
Not only would that be illegal (Leopard is a pay-for upgrade from Tiger), but the discs are specifically tied to the hardware they come with. But since you already purchased a Leopard disc for your MacBook Pro, why wouldn't you just use that disc?

Oh I plan on using my purchased Leopard disc, I was merely curious about whether or not the bundled discs were tied to their hardware, which, as you say, they indeed are.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.