Same Subject Differnt User (Switching to Mac)

Reaction score
Hi all

i am heavy windows user. As part of my job i use Microsoft software all day and i pretty good at fixing pc problems. My concern is before i spending £1300 on imac in am unshure that i wont be able to do the following things.

1. Fix the hardware my self.
2. How long is the mac gonna last me.
3. why do mac's cost more than pc's.

I’m worried about purchasing one then regretting it.

Many Thanks

Kev :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
1. Why would you need to?

2. As long as you want... plenty of 1999 iMacs and iBooks still about.

3. Oooo that's a good one. Better design, latest hardware, very pretty, the rather exclusive Mac OS (which is what people are really paying for TBH, I'd rather fork out the extra cash than go back to Windows).

OP
P
Reaction score
Well I don’t want to play games because I have a ps3 for that, its just general tasks really maybe it’s because im stuck in my ways. I just want to know that I can fix it my self if it goes wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
1. Why would you need to?

Ummmm, Mac hardware is not invincible. It is almost identical to all PC hardware and is equalyl prone to failure. However, Macs are not nearly as easy to work opn as PCs are. This is the price you pay for a good looking machine. To buy a Mac and assume its hardware is invincible is asinine. Make sure you get applecare 3 year protection plan. This will ensure your Mac is fixed by professionals if (and probably when, for 3 years) something goes wrong...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well, you can repair things yourself if you need to, it's just a little harder to get in to than you're average PC tower. I wouldn't worry too much about it going wrong though, and you've got your year's warranty. Opening it up yourself will mean that Apple won't work on it, and void any warranty or Applecare (if you get it), aside from parts that are user-accessible.

The best way (IMO) of moving to OS X is to go with an open mind - it's different to Windows, but that doesn't make it better or worse - it's just another way of doing things. Have a play around and see how things work, and you'll soon pick it all up just fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all

i am heavy windows user. As part of my job i use Microsoft software all day and i pretty good at fixing pc problems. My concern is before i spending £1300 on imac in am unshure that i wont be able to do the following things.

It depends on the model. If it's an iMac or a notebook, I would say they tend to be a little more difficult to work on just because of the formfactor.

In the surveys I've seen, it seems the hardware is fairly robust. There are many users on this forum with 6+ year old machines.

Do they really? Factor in a PC of equivalent specification - then be sure to add in the cost of the anti-virus, anti-spyware, security and utility software you need to keep it running, all of which you won't need on the Mac. Also note that every Mac comes preloaded with the iLife suite, which is a very functional suite of utilities for managing and editing your photos, videos and websites. Although most generic PCs will cost less at the time of purchase, if you factor in the "total cost of ownership" or TCO, Macs tend to come out favorably.

Many Thanks

Kev :eek:

Worst case scenario is that you buy it, don't like Mac OS X and end up putting Windows on it. Then you have a very pretty Windows box :)

Just one caveat - if you're satisfied with Windows machines, don't switch. A lot of people get the "Mac bug", but when they find they need to change their habits and learn something new, they find themselves disappointed. Only switch if you truly are ready to try something new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1. If you know how to actually fix computer hardware, then you should have no problem.

2. It will last as long as you keep it.

3. They don't.

Then, IMHO, the best thing to do is to NOT purchase one until you feel otherwise.

OP
P
Reaction score
guys

Thankyou for you advice.

CWA thanks for laying it out simply for me. I have used linux operating sytems before from i have seen in the applae shop i think that i will be purchasing a imac in the forth coming months. Untill then i wish to hang around the forum picking up ideas and maybe helping others out.

Reaction score
The only problem with trying to fix a Mac yourself is that only the Mac Pros are really designed to be opened up by the user. iMacs certainly aren't. Opening one in a way that is discoverable by a real Apple person will void the warranty, which can hurt you as well as anyone that you may sell the unit to later on.

Macs (not counting Mac Pro) are more like consumer electronics devices that have very limited upgradeability. Throw more RAM in it, maybe a bigger hard disk, and otherwise once you want a new one, the old one goes on Craigslist or Ebay. A broken one goes back to Apple to get repaired.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.