• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

George Carlin dies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Just read an article that George Carlin passed away yesterday at age 71. My all time favorite comedian. I loved his work and I can recite many a line from his many shows more than any other funny person. May you rest in peace.

As George would say, "I won't die... I'll pass away. Or expire, like a magazine subscription."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
;_;

This severely sucks.

I LOVE George Carlin. Probably the greatest comic genius of our time, and maybe ever.

I know Richard Pryor gets a lot of credit for being the best, but, I think Carlin was more creative and more relevant to the times.

It's sad, but at least he's been flung onto the roof, and no one will be able to get him down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
RIP George Carlin....

I didn't really know who he was until I read his books...and boy were they good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I just recited his Seven Words. What a loss for culture. I'm sure he's got someone rolling around in stitches right now wherever he is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
He was hilarious. One of his shows in Louisville was my birthday present from my grandparents. It was the best present I got. I would take a ticket to see him over money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I remember the first time I heard of George Carlin. Back in the early early '80s, HBO was showing An Evening With Robin Williams, and I was a little kid who liked watching Mork And Mindy, but my parents wouldn't let me watch the HBO thing. Well, they were going out to dinner that night, so of course as soon as they left the house, I turned HBO on (my older brother made some kind of deal with me that he wouldn't tell if I otherwise behaved or something), and after that was over they showed what was called George Carlin at Carnegie Hall, which of course we all now know as Carlin At Carnegie...I never heard of the guy, but as a six-year-old, I was on the floor laughing.

My wife and I saw him at the Paramount Theater in Asbury Park, NJ, in 1999. I said, "Let's see how long it takes him to drop the F-bomb!" He took the stage, said "How's everybody doing tonight?" [audience cheers] "Oh yeah? Well, [bomb drops]!!!!" Official time: twenty seconds. :) I remember my wife and I laughed our hineys off for nearly 90 minutes that night. Then when I heard the CD of that tour (You Are All Diseased), I thought, "Wait, we thought this was funny??" I found the CD very boring...I was much happier with his 2001 release...

My recommended Carlin watching/listening: Complaints and Grievances, Carlin At Carnegie, Jammin' In New York City, and the eternal classic Class Clown.

And I've already said a prayer to Joe Pesci for George. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
My all time favorite as well. I wish I had been able to see his show live, but I have plenty of his albums.

If you've only heard his more recent stuff, check out his double-album called Classic Gold. His was a little different back in the day, but still genius work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I've watched most of his HBO Specials and I loved his later routines. He will be sorely missed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
like losing a family member

whether it was his stand up or his books i enjoyed every second and i don't think anyone could ever express my thoughts on life in a comedic way any better than he did.

RIP to a GREAT AMERICAN !!!!!

I know Richard Pryor gets a lot of credit for being the best, but, I think Carlin was more creative and more relevant to the times.

no disrespect to the Richard but they are not even in the same game. coming up with material based around words like ****** and **** and making it funny to the masses is tough and i give Richard credit for that but....

being able to come up with comedy that may also include these words but at the same time make people not only laugh until they cry but at the same time finish your book or comedy special and then actually sit down and ponder about there beliefs in something like religion or politics or relationships etc... and really take what you said as a possible reality is something that very few have ever been able to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I'm sure he's at heaven going, "***?"

Going to miss him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
I'm sure he's at heaven going, "***?"

Going to miss him.

actually he doesn't believe in that so he is probably on the sun catching a tan since that is the only thing he believes in HAHAHA that was a great concert :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
actually he doesn't believe in that so he is probably on the sun catching a tan since that is the only thing he believes in HAHAHA that was a great concert :)

Were you able to understand my joke?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i actually stayed away from mac-forums for a few days because i didn't want to talk about this.

this really hit me hard. like a few of you, i've grew up with him, and due to the weak male role models i had, he was sort of a third dad to me in a weird remote way.

last night nbc aired the very first saturday night live hosted by carlin. those jokes i've heard 1000 times still made me laugh and smile. also bravo aired the "inside the actors studio" with him a couple days back - reminded me how completely grounded and brilliant he was.

he'll be missed.

adios, go with god, and don't take any wooden nickels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, sorry I missed that! I knew he was the first host, but I've never seen it before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.