My new MAC!

Reaction score
OK, I was a Bill Gates fan, it was what I was brought up on.. So, after years of pestering from my mates, I have bought my first MAC, nice brand spanking new machine, but when I bought it there were a couple of things said to me that I have to look to you guys for confirmation!

1) I was told I dont need any virus software at all...?

2) I am looking to run Dreamweaver on this (currently running on Win XP) I was told I could get an emulator, but have searched the web with no joy

Was I over sold?

Thanks

RM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS 512MB
I was just wondering the same thing about antivirus...ive just seen this sticky post, seems like opinions are divided on antivirus software and whether or not you need it...and it seems a firewall is built in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1) there are currently no known viruses in the wild. whether you wish to run an anti-virus software knowing that is up to you. I don't. Then again, I never really run them on windows machines either and still don't get infested with virii.

2) Assuming your license is legal you could try contacting adobe and see if they'll switch it from a PC license to a Mac one. They've been known to. Else, you can run parallels or vmware and run it in a virtual machine or even run Wine and see if it actually works under that now that it's had it's first stable release in 15 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are going to run Windows on your Mac use AVG or a similar free antivirus and as you can pick up a virus on the PC partition. Will not affect your Mac but means you may have to erase and install XP/Vista.

Whether you run antivirus on the Mac OS is a matter for you. Use Nortons AV v 11.0 with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video 30GB | Black macbook 2.2 gHz 1GB RAM 160 GB hard drive
macs are not affected by windows viruses, but can pass them on.

2) Assuming your license is legal you could try contacting adobe and see if they'll switch it from a PC license to a Mac one. They've been known to. Else, you can run parallels or vmware and run it in a virtual machine or even run Wine and see if it actually works under that now that it's had it's first stable release in 15 years.

I have photoshop cs2 on win xp, but i dont understand how adobe would switch it to mac, is it just licensing, or the actual software

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.