.mac vs. .me

Reaction score
Just received my 24" refurb iMac today!!! (First mac ever).
When I started up for the first time, it mentioned opening a .mac account. With mobileme debuting in 2 weeks, would it be a waste of time to open a .mac account now. Would the only perk to opening one now be a .mac address vs. .me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can take advantage of the free trial, but to be honest, it's best to just hold off for the new service, especially given how close it is to release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
If you sign up now, i think you will be automatically upgraded to the new mobile me anyway (and be able to use either your .mac address or mobile me address)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
J is correct, if you want to sign up now go right ahead your .Mac account will be transferred to .Me once .Me becomes active.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you sign up now, i think you will be automatically upgraded to the new mobile me anyway (and be able to use either your .mac address or mobile me address)

I went ahead a signed up now, so that I can get a .mac account, not crazy about .me; sounds too self absorbed for my liking.

However, the 60 day free trial seems to have been discontinued; it billed my credit card immediately, from what the site said.

Reaction score
.mac also (for me anyway) is more expensive which is very annoying as I am currently on a .mac trial and need more space but if I don't wait for mobile me which is £59.99 it will cost £69.99!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
.mac will become .me as soon as .me is available.

Reaction score
Yes that is what I am saying, I am stuck at the moment as if I upgrade my .mac trial to a full account it will cost £69.99 which would then be changed to mobile me in July. However if I wait until mobileme is released then I only have to pay £59.99, it's annoying as I don't want to pay more but would also prefer to have more than 100mb of webspace now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hrm, that's very odd. I haven't paid much attention to any price differences, but a 10 quid change, I'd wait for it and spend the tenner at the pub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You can purchase it at different prices from different locations. Check amazon.com?

Reaction score
@mac.com won't change to @me.com, instead you'll be able to use both. Question is, for how long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@mac.com won't change to @me.com, instead you'll be able to use both. Question is, for how long.
yea, the service will change to .me.. but your .mac address will still be valid. Not sure why that'd change, it costs NOTHING to alias it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.