Accessing Wireless in Boot Camp

Reaction score
I recently installed Windows XP on my new iMac and was very pleased with how simple and painless the whole process went. However, I cannot seem to connect to my wireless router within Windows. Specifically, Windows indicates that it is connected to the internet and sending and receiving information but Firefox is still unable to access any online sites. When I reboot my computer into OS X I have no such problems, any suggestions. I do admit to being a bit of a n00b when it comes to Windows..

Thanks,

Ravi

Reaction score
Hi

Can't diagnose your complete problem however here's a few thing to check.

In windows the box saying that your connected and sending and receiving, thats only talking as far as the wireless network is going. One of the things that I'd be thinking about because this happened to my XP setup was that my router was set to give IP addresses and the mac under XP was set to give an ip address too so that didn't work.

That sounds like whats happening because you are actually connected to the router but the information is getting passed properly.

Try cutting out a few steps and trouble shooting by making the setting as basic as possible, wired rather than wireless.

Warmly

Josh Oliver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Hi

Can't diagnose your complete problem however here's a few thing to check.

In windows the box saying that your connected and sending and receiving, thats only talking as far as the wireless network is going. One of the things that I'd be thinking about because this happened to my XP setup was that my router was set to give IP addresses and the mac under XP was set to give an ip address too so that didn't work.

That sounds like whats happening because you are actually connected to the router but the information is getting passed properly.

Try cutting out a few steps and trouble shooting by making the setting as basic as possible, wired rather than wireless.

Warmly

Josh Oliver

Your "explanation" does not really make sense.. Maybe you can clarify...

---
As for the problem:

Did you install the Mac Windows drivers...
Did you try restarting your computer and your router...
Did you try hardwireing you computer to your router...

just some things to try ;)

Reaction score
The problem to me sounds like you are connecting to the router and thus XP says you are connected to the 'internet' but the information isn't getting from the router to your computer because of inappropriate settings. If you have set up your router to DHCP and assign other computers an IP address and you've accidently set up XP to assign itself an IP address there will be conflict and although you've connected successfully according to XP you can't get any information such as a failure to load www.google.co.uk in explorer or failure to ping www.google.co.uk

This sounds like a network conflict.

Try plugging straight into you modem and not through the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
The problem to me sounds like you are connecting to the router and thus XP says you are connected to the 'internet' but the information isn't getting from the router to your computer because of inappropriate settings. If you have set up your router to DHCP and assign other computers an IP address and you've accidently set up XP to assign itself an IP address there will be conflict and although you've connected successfully according to XP you can't get any information such as a failure to load www.google.co.uk in explorer or failure to ping www.google.co.uk

This sounds like a network conflict.

Try plugging straight into you modem and not through the router.

I would agree with you with the self-assigned ip, but that would not state that connection as "connected"...
Instead it would say "Limited or Connectivity"...

I agree with you on the hardwireing idea.
First try plugging your computer straight to the modem. If it works great.
Then try plugging your computer into the router which you connect to the modem.. If it works, double great.
Then try using wireless again, which obviously does not work.

This may seam strange, but who is your ISP...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.