*HELP*..External HD

Reaction score
Hi just bought windows vista....to run on bootcamp...can i buy an external hd to run vista on or what...i was also thinking i could buyan external hd for like movies and stuff. Whne i wanna watch a movie could i just plug in the external hd and play the movies in the external hd with the leopard on my macbook?

Thnx

OP
D
Reaction score
Newbie ?

Hi just bought windows vista....to run on bootcamp...can i buy an external hd to run vista on or what...i was also thinking i could buyan external hd for like movies and stuff. Whne i wanna watch a movie could i just plug in the external hd and play the movies in the external hd with the leopard on my macbook?

Thnx

i posted in the hrdware fourms but i think this is a more newbie question! but i dont kno?

it sound to me like it could work....it ask you when you wanna start bootcamp how much hd space you wanna share with windows....could i use an external hd just to use in vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
if all you want to do is store your movies on the external drive and watch them from there.. yes you can do that. I do that with a networked drive :)

Now the bootcamp stuff, I've never felt the need so I can't help you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB C2D 2.16, 3gb Ram, 250gb hd, 10.5.3
should work in theory as MacBooks can boot off external drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
With the movies thing, yeah you can totally do that, that's what we do at home.

Re: the Vista thing, I'm not so sure. You could install vista to the HD and boot from it but it'd be running over USB or Firewire, I'm not sure if that will slow things down or not.

T

todd51

I don't know about installing Vista on an external drive. I'm pretty sure you can't do that unless there is some sort of hack or something. I believe I have asked that question before since I wanted to do the same thing. If it IS possible...I would love to know how!

Hopefully someone else can shine more light on this subject?

Reaction score
Are you asking if you can boot Vista up through an Ext. HD?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes. But I heard it puts up a fight, and you'll have to hack or mod with things, and it's just not worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've not done this before but there is a guide here and here. But as I said above, should work in theory, but Vista was also supposed to work and be several steps ahead, in theory. Good luck and proceed at your own risk. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've not done this before but there is a guide here and here. But as I said above, should work in theory, but Vista was also supposed to work and be several steps ahead, in theory. Good luck and proceed at your own risk. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry for the double post, my connection is not being cooperative!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i posted in the hrdware fourms but i think this is a more newbie question! but i dont kno?

Actually, it's more of a Windows/Other OS question

NOTE:Merged crossposts and moved to more appropriate forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.