Moving Folders from PC to Mac

Reaction score
Hello,
My PC got a virus yesterday (oh joy) and I'm in the process of moving my photographs from the PC to my Mac so I can reformat it. This is something I always knew I should do before I got a virus, but I never got around to it, so now I'm suffering the consequences.

Anyway, when I put the various folders of pictures on a memory stick, I plug the drive into the mac, and SOME of the folders are just fine...I can put them on the Mac, open the folders, and view the pictures. Many of the folders, however, show up as exec files on the stick and on the mac...meaning I can't open the folders. What is going on? How do I avoid this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
SOME of the folders are just fine...I can put them on the Mac, open the folders, and view the pictures. Many of the folders, however, show up as exec files on the stick and on the mac ... What is going on? How do I avoid this?

•In what format are the pictures that won't open?
•I would suggest that you compare the Properties of the folders that show and open okay on the Mac with those that don't. What's different?
•Are there any Win applications mixed in with the folders of pictures? That might cause the .exe file suffix to display.
•Can you transfer the photos/pictures only from the 'rogue' folders to other, new folders on your Win computer; and then try transferring them via flash drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Same issue here....

I don't have the solution for you and let me emphasize I am new to my first Mac (MacBookPro). I bought my MBP as I was driving to a weeks vacation in a remote area where I would take lots of photos. I captured them as JPEGS and via a card reader downloaded them to my MBP. I processed/edited a few on the MBP via Photoshop Elements 6. When I got home I "clicked and dragged" the photos (JPEGS) on to a flash drive and then downloaded them to my desktop PC (Windows XP Media Ctr OS). Most of the JPEGS would open but for some the icon or item if in "list" view was light gray, and could not be selected or opened. I found no difference in file properties between those I could open and those I could not. I estimate 85% of the files transferrred OK and I could open and view them. I would like to know the best way to do this to try to keep from "losing" some of the files in the transfer process. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.