Image rotation help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Okay so when I load all of my pictures from my digital camera to my MBP they all appear to be rotated the correct way, upright. But behind the scenes the ones that I took holding the camera vertically, are really horizontal. I can tell this when I try to set on of these as a background image even though it shows it as a vertical image it sets on the background as horizontal. The same with when I upload a batch of images to any of my web albums....then I end up having to manually rotate them online. I would rather just see which ones need to be rotated while I look at them in finder.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Okay so when I load all of my pictures from my digital camera to my MBP ... I would rather just see which ones need to be rotated while I look at them in finder. Any ideas?

The pictures show in Finder as you took them, right?. Either landscape/horizontal, or portrait/vertical - the way you were holding the camera when you took the picture.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, then to rotate the images you really need to go through iPhoto, Preview or AppleWorks (Tiger). If you wish to change the orientation so that people don't have to lay their heads sideways when viewing :D, and then to retain the altered image that way, then you need to Save As or Save A Copy As.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
It will show a picture I took vertically vertical. The problem is when I upload it to a site it shows it horizontally (so people would have to turn their head to see it right). But the problem is even when I open it with preview or any other program it is showing it vertically even though when I upload it on ANY site, it uploads horizontally. I don't get it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
I believe the only way to fix this is to turn off auto rotate on your camera. When auto rotate is turned on the picture is not actually rotated, it is just flagged to be rotated. Most apps will understand this and show the picture as being rotated the correct way. But of course not ALL apps will understand this. I have never had the problem of a browser not having it rotated though I usually don't manually rotate my pictures and they upload just fine. So a few things to try...

1. Turn off auto rotate on your camera and just rotate all pictures manually
2. Possibly try another browser, maybe Firefox that's what i use

With auto rotate off an easy way to rotate your pictures is use Automator just highlight all the ones that need rotating and use an Automator action right from finder

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.