just bought an ext HD...

Reaction score
today and i cant get my mac to format it...i just bought my macbook a few weeks ago and am still trying to fight off the cobwebs...i go to disk utility where it should allow me to choose my new ext right? nothing...i need fat32 to use for windows and mac correct?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand of drive is this? What interface? USB? Firewire?

When you open Disk Utility, does anything other than the Main hard drive and CDROM show up?

OP
P
Reaction score
its a simple tech 500gb usb2.0...

when i click disk utility it now says; calculate image check sum crc 32 and calculate image check sum MD 5

OP
P
Reaction score
looks like i figured it out..im trying to use it on my pc and my new mac..basically taking all my worthwhile stuff on the pc and transferring it to my mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
looks like i figured it out..im trying to use it on my pc and my new mac..basically taking all my worthwhile stuff on the pc and transferring it to my mac

What did you end up doing? It might help someone else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.