• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Changing the iMovie "movie projects" path

Reaction score
I don't want iMovie (08 or HD) to create a 'iMovie Projects' folder in the / User / Movies path whenever I edit my clips. I want to edit my movie projects out of a /User/'Film Editing' path. How do I do that and stop iMovie from creating the same stupid folder every time it boots? Thx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As far as I know you can not change it. Also keep in mind that three folders in the Movies folder are used for iM08. You are fighting the system.

You could likely use Unix links to trick iMovie to use your folder.

OP
J
Reaction score
As far as I know you can not change it. Also keep in mind that three folders in the Movies folder are used for iM08. You are fighting the system.

You could likely use Unix links to trick iMovie to use your folder.

Changing where my movie projects folder is stored is not really "fighting the system", but what do you mean "unix links"?? sounds interesting. I'm familiar with intermediate unix/linux coding. Could I use terminal to change that default path?

OP
J
Reaction score
The problem is that other movie editing software will have to save all the folders in that same folder, too. But I guess if just stick with 08 then it's not that much of a problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You are fighting the system because iM08 is limited when placing content. It is the whole 'Apple knows best' issue. Beyond your home Movies folder, it can also place content onto external drives at the top level in an 'iMovie Events' folder.

Also note that iM08 looks at those directories as a library. Placing other content in them manually isn't likely advisable.

You didn't mention 'another' editor before, but it might be possible to share the iMovie content with it. Maybe. I think this dangerous though because if either application alters the file, who knows what will happen the other application.

Unix links are pointers to real files or folders that appear as a file or folder when referenced from the system, such as the Finder. In Terminal do a; man ln.

To link a folder; ln -s <remoteRealFolder> <linkname>

A link is kind of like a Finder Alias. Don't try Finder aliases for this purpose though.

Lastly an internet search turn up this trick which I think might require QuickTime Pro.

OP
J
Reaction score
You are fighting the system because iM08 is limited when placing content. It is the whole 'Apple knows best' issue. Beyond your home Movies folder, it can also place content onto external drives at the top level in an 'iMovie Events' folder.

Also note that iM08 looks at those directories as a library. Placing other content in them manually isn't likely advisable.

You didn't mention 'another' editor before, but it might be possible to share the iMovie content with it. Maybe. I think this dangerous though because if either application alters the file, who knows what will happen the other application.

Unix links are pointers to real files or folders that appear as a file or folder when referenced from the system, such as the Finder. In Terminal do a; man ln.

A link is kind of like a Finder Alias. Don't try Finder aliases for this purpose though.

Lastly an internet search turn up this trick which I think might require QuickTime Pro.

xstep,
Great link-find. That provided the resouces I needed to solve this dilemea or at the very least make major head-way in resolving it. Thanks for taking the time to genuinely provide specific refences to this thread. I appreciate your wisdom.
Thanks!

OP
J
Reaction score

Thanks for the ln reference. I'm familiar with that command from linux and am interested in using more unix commands wiht mac os. But why provide all the fancy unix ln commands (other than that being WAY more cool and interesting than simple finder alias), why not just make a finder alias? My mind isn't totally grappling this problem as it was earlier so I'm not as invested as the details of the dilemma. Such is the way with delays in answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both aliases and links have there problems. I happen to trust links because I've used them for more than 10 years while my knowledge of aliases is limited and have seen people complain about limitations.

Here are a couple of links you can read about them. Link1, Link2.

I'm really not sure if one is better than the other for your purpose.

OP
J
Reaction score
Both aliases and links have there problems. I happen to trust links because I've used them for more than 10 years while my knowledge of aliases is limited and have seen people complain about limitations.

Here are a couple of links you can read about them. Link1, Link2.

I'm really not sure if one is better than the other for your purpose.

xstep,
Sweet.
Great references on links. Thoe are just a whole lot cooler than aliases. I'll see which ones work best though. That provided the resouces I needed to solve this dilemea or at the very least make major head-way in resolving it. Thanks for taking the time to genuinely provide specific refences to this thread. I appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.