Apple Mail and Outlook: working together

Reaction score
A real estate agent in my office bought a mac recently. She will use the mac at home and her windows pc at the office (because a real estate site we use doesn't support ANY browser besides IE). She uses outlook express as her mail client. Is there anyway to sync outlook express with Apple's Mail app so that when she read's an email in one program, say outlook, it will show up as "read" when she see's it in Apple Mail? I'm aware that Apple's new MobileMe service will do this, but I don't think she'll want to pay for that service every year JUST for that feature and I'm not sure she'd be able to use her current email address with that service (and she has to keep her email address as it is for business reasons). Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
It will depend on the type of email address it is. POP vs. IMAP.... If it is IMAP, this should happen pretty easily if it is set up as IMAP on both mail clients. Try and determine what type of email address it is (who is the provider) and you should get a ton of help on the forum from there.

OP
N
Reaction score
The email is POP

The email in question is a POP account. Does that mean there isn't a way to have the mail status update on each one (apple mail and outlook express)?

Reaction score
You should check with the ISP and see if they offer IMAP access as well. If not, what about just web e-mail access? This way, the user can access the web mail portal no matter what browser or OS they are using. If web email isn't available, then maybe have the e-mail forwarded to something like Gmail that is accessible via web browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I'm not sure about the email, but for the Real Estate website use Opera, it will work, I had the same problem with safari and firefox but Opera opens these sites no problem.

OP
N
Reaction score
My apologies to everyone

I looked over my original post again and noticed that I combined two problems. Please excuse me. The part about the site not working in anything but IE has nothing to do with the email situation. I feel like a wanker now.

I tried Opera for the site that requires IE and still it gives me the same message. Paraphrasing: "this site requires IE 6 or greater". I've tried 5 different browsers with the real estate site and all of them give me the same message. I've even tried IES40SX (which creates a virtual IE to use) and that worked fine for accessing the site on a mac BUT since it was a virtual broswer it wouldn't print because it can't see any printers on the system.

I'll check some of your suggestions about the Email. I'll contact the provider and see if they offer IMAP service as well as POP. I didn't want to suggest to the agent that she uses webmail because she's up there in age and really doesn't want to bother with such things.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and time.

Reaction score
Um, doesn't MobileMe do this? Pushes emails/contacts to wherever you want them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Um, doesn't MobileMe do this? Pushes emails/contacts to wherever you want them

It does, but they can not change their email address and I am not sure that MobileMe will allow for outside email addresses to work accordingly with the service or if it is only for the @mac.com or @me.com addresses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.