Macbook or Pro for a switcher

Reaction score
Hi all,

After years of being a pc person I have finally decided to make the switch, the final straw is sitting watching my 8 month old vista pc slow down while my 4 year old emac runs just as good as the day I bought it.

I'm primarily replacing my toshiba laptop so Il looking at a macbook (£829) or macbook pro (£1299) but I cant decide which one to go for. The only real difference being the screen size and the extra graphics processing umph in the pro.

I'm primarily a web developer so the majority of my work is in dreamweaver and although I do use photoshop Im usually slicing up a designers artwork rather than doing intensive graphics work so I think that the macbook will do, and its more portable.

For the same money as the pro I can get the macbook and a 20" cinema display, so I get the portability and the extra screen real estate however I don't want to regret getting the macbook when I should have bought the pro, and the pro could well work as a desktop replacement....

help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
The Pro will give you the option of a faster hard drive (+£60), and a non-glossy display (always advisable for graphics work). Although, if you got an external display with the MacBook, then the glossy screen wouldn't be a big issue.

I'd say go to a store and use them for a bit; the trackpads, keyboards, speakers, size etc. are different on each machine, and you might find one is easier to use over the other... but they'll both be fine for what you want.

The only other advice I can give is, if I was buying a machine to conduct business on, I'd buy the best I could afford. The MacBook Pros little touches like a larger multi-touch trackpad, larger backlit keyboard, larger non-glossy display, faster hard drive (optional) could add up to making your jobs a lot quicker/easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.