1GB vs. 2GB

Reaction score
My girlfriend primarily uses her computer for surfing the internet and chatting on Adium. Does she need 2GB of RAM? She has 1GB right now...is that suitable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
she shouldnt need 2GB of RAM for that. I have over 4 apps running and my 1 GB works fine ;)

it wouldnt hurt, but there are better things to spend money on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
not sure. Snow Leopard isn't coming out with anything new, I think it's just security stuff and OS stability. I don't remember much from the WWDC, i forget things sometimes. So to my knowledge, yes.

I will be upgrading to 4GB of RAM, but thats because I use GarageBand along with 4 other apps running at the same time, and I make my songs over 2min, and that eats my 1GB up like candy.

*NOTE*

wow this was my 200th post =] I need to go outside more often. =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
It would depend on the type of computer you have. I own a G4 iMac running Panther. I just learned yesterday that if I wanted to upgrade to Leopard, it is highly recommended that you have at least 1GB memory. Leopard requires 512 MB just to run the OS itself. For Snow Leopard, I'm sure it'll be the same. As cuhnool said, SL won't have any new major features, just security/stability improvements. I don't see why it would require more.

Having 2GB memory installed will make your computer run faster. Nothing wrong with that. It's just personal preference. I have 768 MB on mine. I definitely need to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1GB is plenty to do basic tasks in OS X. At 2GB, the cat simply purrs ;D

wow this was my 200th post =] I need to go outside more often. =P

It wouldn't be so bad had you not done it in only two weeks. Then again, look at my post count ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1GB is plenty to do basic tasks in OS X. At 2GB, the cat simply purrs ;D

It wouldn't be so bad had you not done it in only two weeks. Then again, look at my post count ;P

o.o two weeks?

wow... i forgot about that ._.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
I'd go along with 1 gb for that. my frine druns parrallels with xp and OS X with adium + iPhoto + safari at the same time on 1 gb ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory is very cheap though. If you see a good deal, you might as well grab some.

She might not only be using the Mac for Adium and the internet at some point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.