• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Perfect DVD's

B

Bangg

I have been doing some testing with my sony 3CCD camera and using both iDVD and DVD studio pro but my dvd's are still grainy. (I might be a little fussy). I have a serious of questions. BTW> My background is editing with AVID composer and creating cds with Sonic DVD workstation, I am trying stuff at home.

I am using a Sony Broadcast 3CCD camera and the results are great. I am capturing in final cut express via DV and editing.

Once I have finished editing I want to export to go to either iDVD or studio DVD pro.

When you import either a exported final cut express project or quicktime and take it into iDVD the video to MPEG codec seems a little second rate. it seems to me that the grain is been added at this process.

My main questions are:

a> Does final cut express cature uncompressed DV. ? Will Final Cut Pro give me better overall quailty ? or we talking just some extra handy features.

b> When exporting a quicktime the manual quotes that every codec in the list as quicktime is compressed. it states that exporting as final cut project keeps the project uncompressed. (also handy for chapter markers) Is this true? It seems some of the quicktime DV codecs produce much larger files then final cut express

c> Does DVD studio Pro gives better qauilty code conversion then iDVD.

d> Is it worth using something like MEDIA CLEANER PRO for MPEG2 conversion

e> Am I asking to much to product a perfect looking DVD (at least the same quality as my orginal DVCAM recording) with this level of software. ???
I understand that it will always be compressed but off my sonic workstation I can product movie like DVD from the same camera matieral tried above.

Thanks.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
if you have DVD studio pro and final cut express you can throw away iDVD and Imovie. when you finish your project movie in final cut express, chek your preferences. you must have set high quality recording. export your movie as MPEG2. use settings: 2pass VBR.
before starting encoding you should calculate if your movie will fit on standard DVD-R (4.3 GB max) forget about 4.7 on the cover. you can use this simple formula 560/x to calculate your encoding bitrate. x = minutes in your movie. highier bitrate results in better quality

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.