Best Mac maintenance App

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Blackbook
I did try a search but could never type in the correct antispam password. I am new to OS X. When working with windows I was very used to performing maintenance on my computer. Now i know people say os x requires no maintenance but i know that is not entirely true. The following link contains a list of popular mac utilities.

http://mac.sixfiles.com/dbase/system-utilities/system-maintenance

Which is the best one? What do i need? What should i do to my computer to keep it clean and quick on a regular basis? If this is a repost please provide a link for me. I want to make sure this baby works as good as it does now every day.

Thanks!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i use onyx and swear by it. many others here also use mainmenu.

both are available for free in numerous places (google something like osx onyx).

i think the main differences are these:
onyx can get you into more trouble if you don't know what you're doing.
i believe mainmenu is accessible from your menubar.

both are fine for cleaning caches and logfiles, which is pretty much the extent of recurring maintenance.

Reaction score
I personally like MainMenu the best, I found it easier to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I'm down with both. MainMenu gets used more often than the other on my machine, but Onyx, in addition to maintenance, gives you quite a bit of customization for the Finder and your Mac in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've longed used Onyx and MainMenu, but lately I've been using IceClean. IC uses only the built-in Unix tools to do its maintenance tasks. In actuality, I doubt Onyx does any differently, but then they don't actually tout that either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Another vote for OnyX. I have been using it since I started with Macs over two years ago now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Onyx here.....not onl;y does it do what it's supposed to do and advertised to do, it's also FREE.......gotta love freebees that actually provide what the promises are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.