Brand new user

A

ajwms

So, for the past 13 years I have been a PC user; MCSE, A+, yadda yadda yadda.

Several years ago, when I saw OSX, I thought "Cool, a unix workstation with a great looking GUI." Then I began checking out iLife and really started becoming interested.

When Apple came out with the PowerMac G5 line, I began to start lusting over them.

Then the iMac came out, and I knew I had to have one.

My lovely wife bought me a new iMac as a birthday, Christmas, and every holiday for the next year.

Specs: 20" iMac with 1GB memory, 256GB hardive, airport extreme, bluetooth keyboard and mouse and Final Cut Express. She also purchased the airport base station with airtunes. What a cool product that is!

All I can say about the new addition to our family is WOW! I did have a slight hickup during the setup procedure; the iMac didn't want to recognize my bluetooth keyboard. Easily fixed by tilting the back of my keyboard towards the iMac so that the iMac could discover the keyboard.

I also managed to lockup OSX hard (something my Mac buddies say is quite a feat) and ended up having to power-off the iMac. Force quit, logout, reboot all didn't work.

Whoever came up with the saying "It just works" is absolutely correct! Everything I need to do as a power user is here; it is just a matter of finding the button / icon / menu item.

The design and engineering of the iMac is extremely impressive. Having only a power cord as a wire is just really cool.

The speed of this OSX is also impressive. I can reboot OSX and come back to the desktop faster than I can revive my XP work laptop from sleep mode.

For the first time in a very long time, I'm actually enjoying working on a computer!

Sorry for the long post; as you can tell, I'm quite excited about my new iMac!

aw

p.s. Getting used to a one button mouse is quite easy. However, I can see where a two button mouse could make life easier.

OP
C

Cloudane

Grats :) I'm about the same, been a PC user since about the age of 10 (I'm 22 now, chasing 23 FWIW so about 12-13 years), know them inside out, avid Linux user as well as Windows etc etc. Got a Powerbook and use that almost exclusively now, and I'm still amazed by the combination of ease of use and flexibility/stability of *nix, which after Linux I never thought a possible combination. The PC is mainly a toy for gaming ;) And to be honest, I haven't touched Linux since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.