• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

how to make files invisble on macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Intel C2D , 2GB , 15.4Inch
hi , i wan to make some files or documents hidden but i cant seems to get it done ? anyone can help ?

Reaction score
You can rename the file(s) with a . (dot) in front of it. Unfortunately you cannot do this in finder but will have to open Terminal and run the command

mv myfile.doc .myfile.doc

Which basically renames the file with a . at the beginning

This will make it invisible from the finder, but you will still able to see it in Terminal. Don't know if this will work for what you are wanting, but that's the only way I know of doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
You can also use encryption to make them unavailable to others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
If you're just trying to keep people out of your stuff without locking your user account, iMac-Knight probably has the easier idea.

If you don't want people to even see said locked files, or you don't mind the work in the terminal, the other way will be more "hidden".

Creating an encrypted disk image is easy.

1) Open Disk Utility (located in the Applications/Utilities folder).
2) Click on File --> New --> Blank Disk Image
3) Everything is pretty self explanatory. The following image shows me creating a 500mb image that will appear on the desktop as "myFiles.dmg".

encryptedFolder.png

Make sure that you pick an image size that will be large enough for you, you will have to create another disk image if you fill up your first!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.