What Mac models (new/old) will run windows?

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
I am an avid Mac user, always have been. My wife on the other hand is a PC user (boooooo). But, as we all know, PC's suck!!

Every friggin PC we've had in this house has had nothing but problems. My son, who is all of 5yrs old loves to use our home computers. He mainly plays online games, but my wife wants to be able to buy him computer games which are primarily PC only.

Now.... since I want to get him a Mac, and don't have $3500 to drop on a new Mac, what would you guys and gals recommend if I wanted to buy a used Mac?

If I've read the info correctly, it's only Intel based Mac's that will operate on Windows OS..... correct?

I'd like to pick up an iMac (2nd generation / volleyball base / swivel monitor), but I don't believe those are upgradable. The new G5 iMacs are out of my price range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Anthony

Reaction score
Correct. It's only the Intel Macs that will run Windows.

I don't think they made any Intel 2nd generation iMac. I think they are all PPC. If you do get a used (or new) Mac, get one with a Intel processor. All the Intel versions can run Windows.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i believe the last gen, white imacs that look like the same shape as the new ones may have had intel chips for some or all of the generation. worth a look on craigslist or a used mac reseller. and all the macbooks should be intel, you could probably find an old one like mine that's a pre core2duo for not too much - though it won't play a lot of games very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I saw a refurb for $950 on the Apple website (Intel iMac.)
Is there anything wrong with the mini? They are very nice computers. They can run $600 new or $500 refurbished.
Refurbished is the smart way to go, even if you're not on a budget. The only difference between new and refurb when you buy through Apple is the packaging. The warranty and service is exactly the same.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm now in the market for a new laptop for my wife. Her Dell Inspiron 9400 is a bag-o-sh@t. Nothing but problems. Runs slow, constantly disconnects from the net, etc.

So, any low end Mac that has an Intel processor will run windows.

Now, will it run Windows out of the box or will I need to add something else? Like this BootCamp or some other application that aids in running windows.

Thanks,
Anthony

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Any Mac with an Intel CPU will run windows.

Bootcamp only comes with 10.5 Leopard so you need 10.5 installed then a copy of XP Pro or Home with SP2.

If 10.5 Leopard is installed, it will run Windows out of the box but remember you need to install Windows. Macs do not ship with Windows. They are meant to run OSX with Windows as an added bonus for people who need a few Windows applications but prefer OSX for the majority of their computing.

If this Mac will be only running Windows, why bother? The Mac hardware is all Intel and no different than any other computer. It's OSX that makes the Mac what it is.

OP
A
Reaction score
I feel that the Mac is a much more stable computer. I know she uses MS Office, which they make for Mac already, which I own a copy. She also uses Quickbooks, which I own a Mac version as well.

I'll have to see what other programs she runs on Windows to justify buying a Mac. But I will only buy used or refurb. New is just out of the budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iMacs: the later white models have intel chips, so look for anything with an iSight camera in the screen at least (but double-check because the last gen. of G5's had iSight cameras as well).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.