Best camera for motion photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
Guys/ Gals,
I'm looking to buy a camera that takes good motion photos such as sports pictures. I need some suggestions as to what to buy and if I need any lens or anything like that. I have a sony cybershot right now but it is terrrrrible for action pictures. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Honestly, if you want true motion freezing pictures with no blur you'd want a DSLR. There might be a few point and shoot cameras that could take decent pictures like the canon G9 but these cameras are just about as expensive as a DSLR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, a D40/60 or Rebel XTI would be a good starter DSLR.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
Ok thanks for the help, I've limited it down to three right now. Sony Alpha 10.2, Nikon 6.1mp DP40, and Canon EOS digital Rebel XT 8.0 mp. The nikon comes with a second lens for only $100 extra right now at best buy. Deal is over this week. Any leads on where to go from there? All are around the $500 range, with the nikon going to $600 with the extra lens.
I will mostly be taking pictures of football games with this. so i need good action photos in less than optimal light conditions. Any input is helpful, Thanks!

Reaction score
Continuous shooting is going to be your friend. It's the one feature that I love the most... and 2.5 frames per second on the D40 is enough for me. Your DEFINATELY going to need the 55-200mm lens. For a football game... definately. Make sure you get at least a 4Gb card that's x133 speed. It's probably the cheapest part of the purchase. I went with an 8gb card.

After reading sooo much at that page I linked above, I bought the Nikon D40 w/18-55mm and 55-200mm, SB-400 Flash, 8gb, ... so that's my vote. If you get filters to protect your lens, read that link first. Non-Coated filters are not worth your time, unless you want to edit out ghosts. Your going to learn a lot and have greater ability for awesome shots... :)

Consider buying online, at least comparing the Best Buy.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found the Nikon D40 at B&H photo with the same lens that Best Buy is offering for the same price, except B&H comes with a 2 gb memory stick and a carry bag. So the camera, Bag, Memory and an extra lens for 600. Where as best buy is just the camera and extra lens. So this camera is a good camera for motion pictures at a football game?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
The camera is fine. I always tell people who are getting into the DSLR world to get a camera body they can afford and buy good glass(lenses). Good lenses will make your pictures better; I have two Canon 40Ds and have "L" series lenses which make my sports pictures come out a lot better than their consumer grade lenses; they're much faster in terms of focusing even though most of all there lenses have USM. Try to get a lens somewhere down the road that is f/2.8, it means it will allow you to get a faster shutter speed and get a nice bokeh (background blur) between your subject and the playing field. Everything will come out nicer with a lens that is f/2.8 or faster to sports.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The camera is fine. I always tell people who are getting into the DSLR world to get a camera body they can afford and buy good glass(lenses). Good lenses will make your pictures better; I have two Canon 40Ds and have "L" series lenses which make my sports pictures come out a lot better than their consumer grade lenses; they're much faster in terms of focusing even though most of all there lenses have USM. Try to get a lens somewhere down the road that is f/2.8, it means it will allow you to get a faster shutter speed and get a nice bokeh (background blur) between your subject and the playing field. Everything will come out nicer with a lens that is f/2.8 or faster to sports.

What he said.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took the plunge and bought the Nikon 40d at Best buy with the extra lens. The lens was 55x200. It was 150 bucks cheaper than usual, special ad sale. I haven't used the camera yet, the battery was charging last night, but I"m going to take it out today, I then bought photoshop CS extended for $190 with my student discount so as soon as that gets here, its going to be a good summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
sorry I missed out on the discussion I would have went with canon...the D40 will work too but it has been my experience that canon does a better job at noise control on thier entry level DSLR's.....

Reaction score
Yash,

Your going to have fun and learn a lot. Post some pics when you get the hang of it... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
sorry I missed out on the discussion I would have went with canon...the D40 will work too but it has been my experience that canon does a better job at noise control on thier entry level DSLR's.....

While Canon does indeed make some fantastic cameras, the Nikon D40 is the best in its class.

Reaction score
Hi
I don’t have so much idea regarding this subject. Just I suggest you to take steps accordingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.