Universal Format software of some sort?

Reaction score
Hello all. Thanks for reading. I just purchased a 160 GB external drive from a thrift store and I hooked it up to my G3 and it works but cant for the life of me find a software tool that I can use to format the drive to at least FAT32 as I am native on Windoze instead of MAC for now. Please respond with comments as I am as stumped.

Cheers..

:Confused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What OS do you have on that iMac?

OP
N
Reaction score
operation system

OS9 on this G3 I believe. It isnt an iMac as its a blue tower with no monitor, correct?

I can also use my girls OSX Leopard system she has on a G4 to format it as well if there is a way to do it without screwing up her Mac.. Please advise and your responces are very welcome, even if negative..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just use disk Utility on her mac to reformat that external drive

OP
N
Reaction score
cool, so it doesnt have the disk utility prog for the OS 9 then I take it? I also have a system that runs Linux Ubuntu as well. I did find it on there once, then after I disconnected it, it never showed up as a hard drive again and rather looked like a disk drive that was corrupt.

Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There is a disk utility for os 9, but it has been so long since I used OS9 that I cannot remember if it formats in FAT32. It offered a DOS format but that may have been FAT16

That is why I recommended using the OS X system to format, but OS 9 should be able to read the drive

hope that helps

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I didnt realize that my G3 was running OSX and I formated to MS-DOS and now I am formating to NTFS. Thanks a million. Its suprising how little I found doing google searches about this subject as on Windows there is tons of questions on how to do most. I guess when your on the darkside for so long, simplicity disipates and gets over looked.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.