Looking to make a move from the dark side...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66GHz 8GB Ram, 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 4GB Ram, iPhone 4, iPad 16GB WiFi
I'm looking at purchasing my first Mac. I really don't need a new computer, both my laptop and my desktop are less than 6 months old, but something keeps drawing me to check out the Mac. I wanted to look at something inexpensive at first, but part of me is afraid I'm just going to want something more after using it.

Anyway, my question is this. I was looking at buying an iMac with a G5 on ebay for somewhere around $500-$600 depending on configuration. But after thinking about it, I can get a Mac Mini for almost the same price. It will have a newer processor, Leopard and iLife08 already installed. Are there any advantages going one route over the other? I would probably max out the ram on either one I buy, just to speed it up. I can get a switch and just use my current LCD display with the Mini, and then I would probably just get an Apple keyboard just to learn all the shortcuts.

I guess I should also mention I will probably use the computer mainly for internet, pictures, iTunes (iPod and iPhone). Who knows what else I'll use it for if I end up liking it. :Mischievous: I'm sure my windows machine will be just for games if I end up liking the Mac.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I would recomend the Mac Mini mainly because Mac OS X 10.6 will only support intel chips (which is what the newer macs use).

Therefore to future-proof your mac go with the mac mini as apposed to the G5.

Apart from that there is no real advantage of choosing the intel mac (mac mini) rather than the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none as of yet
I would recomend the Mac Mini mainly because Mac OS X 10.6 will only support intel chips (which is what the newer macs use).

Therefore to future-proof your mac go with the mac mini as apposed to the G5.

Apart from that there is no real advantage of choosing the intel mac (mac mini) rather than the G5.

I'm going to buy a mini in a little while too. A person I know bought a base-line mini just to get used to OSX. He loves it so much he said he didn't turn on his 2700$ gaming pc on because the mac was better for photoshop and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
A correction there, WE are the dark side ;)

Anyway, I agree with the rest on you getting Mac Mini since you're just trying it out, and since you've all the stuff like screens, and it'd be better to get the Mini for future-proof, and it'd be a better deal. Unless you want the G5 screen of course.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66GHz 8GB Ram, 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 4GB Ram, iPhone 4, iPad 16GB WiFi
Thanks for the info all. I will probably just end up getting a mini, but I think I might wait a month or so to see if there is a new one coming out. Who knows, I may get bored and just go buy one :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.