Question about hotmail and Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Ok so i am trying to use hotmail with the built in mail app. I downloaded to plug in for it and all but it seems i am only able to send mail from it and can not receive my mail. Has anyone tried to do this and actually have it working?? If so please let me know what i need to do to get it working, thanks!!

Reaction score
what plug-in did you download? httpmail?

how old is your hotmail account? httpmail only works with older accounts

what system are you on? 10.5.3 broke httpmail

apart from that all you can do is read the httpmail documentation... and I would recommend switching to gmail, which works natively with Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
like mentioned above, just switch to gmail, i did and its so much easier. i went through all the hassle of the hotmail plugin and it really wasnt worth it, just use gmail and it works perfectly.....that or upgrade to a premium hotmail account...but that costs obviously

OP
iApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
bah i am on 10.5.3....I guess i will have to switch to gmail. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
bah i am on 10.5.3....I guess i will have to switch to gmail. Thanks guys.

is gmail the same thing as a yahoo account? because that's what i have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is gmail the same thing as a yahoo account? because that's what i have.

Nope, not the same thing (as far as i know). Gmail is google's e-mail client. Yahoo! mail is Yahoo!'s e-mail client. I havnt tried yahoo in mail.app but i dont see why it wouldnt work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nope, not the same thing (as far as i know). Gmail is google's e-mail client. Yahoo! mail is Yahoo!'s e-mail client. I havnt tried yahoo in mail.app but i dont see why it wouldnt work.
AFAIK Yahoo also charges for pop access, so avoid yahoo mail as well.

Gmail even offers free IMAP.

OP
iApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i've switched all my stuff over to my gmail account and its working great so far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
So by switching over the gmail account, you are just making a new e-mail right? There really is no way just to "switch" over is there?

OP
iApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So by switching over the gmail account, you are just making a new e-mail right? There really is no way just to "switch" over is there?

Right, i know there is probably something out there that can forward my MSN to GMAIL (cause i used to use it on my pc) but i havn't found one for Mac so i will just use my gmail account. I just switched all of my major things to that address and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
sorry I haven't tried using the mac mail since the 10.5.3 update, but if you are really wanting your hotmail you could also try thunderbird for the time being... I'm sure they will either get the plugin for mail fixed or someone else will bring one out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Im not certain on how it works (so dont quote me on this) but if your yahoo account allows automatic e-mail forwarding, you could try forwarding all your yahoo messages to a gmail account, and using that gmail account in mail.app. This may not work at all so sorry if it doesnt, and I may have completely the wrong end of the stick as to what e-mail forwarding does....but i just thought id throw it out there so you can experiment.

OP
iApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i believe you can have hotmail forward your emails, but you have to have the premium hotmail account, and i only have a free one, and dont feel like giving bill gates any money for it lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.