Dell vs. Mac

Reaction score
I am going to be attending college around August 20, and its time for me to get my first laptop! I plan on purchasing a laptop around the 10-11 of July. I have been a lifelong windows user, and am very good at using microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint. My college (Virginia Tech), requires that my laptop run Vista. Now ive never used vista or Mac OS, but I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Dell XPS M1350 or a Macbook (most likely the black book). If i choose to go with a mac, i would buy it from my colleges computer store:

http://www.bookstore.vt.edu/ePOS?wi...er=0&bgcolor=white&alink=#000084&align=center

And the standard white macbook:

http://www.bookstore.vt.edu/ePOS?wi...er=0&bgcolor=white&alink=#000084&align=center

I would have to purchase the dell of the dell website because the computer store doesnt sell the xps models. Im having a really hard time deciding what i want to buy because i really like both computers. The mac would be more expensive because i would have to purchase and install vista and micrsoft office programs on the mac. There is just something about macs that attract me to them, but i cant exactly determine what it is that draws me towards them.

My biggest question is that which computer (Dell xps m1350 or the macbook) with the same specs would be more reliable and a better performer for day-to-day student uses? Also, this computer has to last at least 3-4 years. I also dont want to purchase a macbook and then 2 months later they release a re-designed aluminum model with increased performance and features. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Clearly the MacBook will give you more options - it will run both Mac OS X and Windows. So, it may be worth the extra cost. You have to decide that. Certainly I would say that having the ability to run Mac OS X when you don't HAVE to run Windows is well worth a little extra cash. Trust, Mac OS X is way, way better than Windows.

Re performance, on two equally spec'd machines, I would expect that Windows will perform pretty much the same, or at least not differently enough that you would notice.

Re the machine lasting many years, whether you buy the Dell or the Mac, I can almost guarantee you that the manufacturer (Dell or Apple) will bring out something faster and better within 6 months at the most. It is the nature of the computer business. You cannot (nor would you want to) buy a progress-proofed machine. Something better is *always* just around the corner. It has been that way since the dawn of the personal computer age.

My advise is that you decide what you want (Mac or PC), buy the best machine you can afford and be happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
for starters no one know when the macbooks will be redesigned. it is entirely possible that you get a mb and the next day it gets redesigned. Either computer should last you 3-4 years.

imo both dells and macs are solid computers and as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you. my opinion is biased towards the mac since i love mine.

but i do have a couple of questions for you. will you only be running vista? if so is it worth paying for a mac os that you are not going to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
the Plus side to buying the Macbook is it will hold it's value after a couple years,The Dell will depreciate very quick.

OP
M
Reaction score
The business school requires vista because their are aparently some programs that are mandatory that only vista can run. Im sorry for not knowing what the programs are, but im trying to find that out at the moment. When i go to orientation I will get more specific informaiton about why they require windows vista.

I actaully like the idea of learning a new operating system. I get tired of using the same old thing for over ten years. The price of the macs at the bookstore are the best i have ever seen considering it also comes with a printer. I know this is a mac forum, which means answers will be biased, but all the people here seem to know ALOT about macs and windows based machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Buy the mac and run windows at the same time. You don't need to burden yourself with a pc just to run windows.

And who gives a crap on what color you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm not a student but I believe Apple is running a special for students who buy Macbooks you get a Free 8GB Ipod touch.

Reaction score
The biggest advantages of the Dell are smaller size and a more powerful graphics card option (nvidia 8600gs). You also have an LED-backlit screen options, and can also choose from several battery sizes (the largest of which somewhat negates the size/weight advantage). Overall it's a very nice, light (under 4lb in some configs) and well-made machine.

If you're at all into gaming, I'd seriously consider the Dell, especially for a machine that will have to serve as your primary for 3-4 years. While the integrated graphics option is adequate for Vista's UI, as more apps are released (either for Windows or Mac) that take more advantage of the GPU, the Intel X3100 graphics will definitely choke faster than the Nvidia option.

The Mac's advantages have been pretty well listed here - flexibility in running Vista or MacOS, better retention of value, and I'd say better build quality as well (at the cost of significantly higher weight). Also, I do think we'll see some kind of refresh soon (maybe not wholesale changes, but an LED backlit screen would be a given).

One thing to note - college "OS requirements" are generally bunk. Unless you're required to have a computer in order to take exams, the only real implication is that campus IT support may not help you if you have a problem, and IME they're not very helpful in the first place. If you really want to run XP or MacOS instead of Vista, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I'm sure they'd both suit your needs fine, but I think it really depends on how you feel about OS X.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Mac if I was only going to be running Windows (some people do though... I guess you'll just have to try it out and see what you think). They look nicer, hold their value longer and are probably tougher... but the hardware is designed first & foremost to run OS X, and when running Windows it's quite clear that the two weren't really designed to be together.

If you want to migrate over to OS X as your primary platform, and just use Windows for school, then the MacBook would be a good choice as it would allow you to do both. If you're not bothered about OS X and are happy to stick with Windows for everything, I'd buy something that was specially designed for Windows.

My advice would be to try and use OS X & Vista as much as possible (computer stores, friends machines etc.) and see how you get on with them, then decide which OS you want to run when you're not doing school work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
What configuration would you be choosing for the XPS?

OP
M
Reaction score
Probably 3gb memory because more is probably better for vista, im still debating weather a 2.0ghz processor or a 2.4 ghz processor, im also debating weather a 250gb 5400rpm drive or a 7200rpm 160gb hard drive, lcd display, and i really dont know anything about a graphics card. Does a graphics card have any uses other than gaming? If thats the case i would not upgrade to the 256mg NVIDIA card because it already comes with a 128mb card. Thanks for all the quick replies!

Reaction score
If you're just putzing around in Vista using Microsoft Office, you can just get the Intel Integrated X3100 graphics. It's slower, but sufficient for productivity apps and is better on battery conservation.

However, the Nvidia 8600GS is MUCH faster, not only for games, but if you run more graphics-intensive applications, if you have a lot of windows open at once, if you hook up an external monitor, etc. It does cost more, and saps the battery a bit faster (IIRC, you get 20-30min less battery time).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
If you are only wanting to run 1 or 2 programs then 2.0GHz be fine, if you want to run more programs all at the same speed go for 2.4GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
As a non-biased Mac and PC user, I would go with the PC if your school requires Vista. The hardware on the Mac is designed for OSX, and you will probably notice a speed difference between the Mac and PC. If your school let you use any operating system, and if there was no true reason to get Vista, OSX is the best option. It is faster, more user friendly, and has a very small amount of bugs and glitches compared to that of Vista (which I use on my laptop for high school)

In all honesty, I prefer OSX, but if you are unable to use it without software compatibility issues, Vista would work better for your needs. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you are only wanting to run 1 or 2 programs then 2.0GHz be fine, if you want to run more programs all at the same speed go for 2.4GHz.

Running multiple applications at the same time is a memory issue, not the CPU. The extra .4Mhz will help in number crunching tasks such as DVD encoding, but not in how many apps you can open.

There is just something about macs that attract me to them, but i cant exactly determine what it is that draws me towards them.

That's the biggie! Do you want an appliance or something you love? What's the point of buying something you'll like when you could buy something you really want?

OP
M
Reaction score
What are the issues with running windows on a mac? I know there is no right click button, and i use the right click copy and paste feature alot on my pc.

Reaction score
Alrite mate, Im an experienced Xp user like yourself i assume. I think i will be buying a Macbook Pro this summer for uni, in the UK. If you're up for the change, go for it. If you're not and just need it for Word etc. just get an XPS. I am in a similar situation to you between the MBP and XPS, except i want the 2.6GHz, 17 inch screen, 4MB ram and 300GB hard drive. Be thankful you're American! It will cost me over $4000 here! Good luck.

Reaction score
What are the issues with running windows on a mac? I know there is no right click button, and i use the right click copy and paste feature alot on my pc.

There's no right-click button, but there is right-click on Macs. Enable two-finger right-click in System Preferences. It's way better than a separate button, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
ah Ha! A Hokie huh? I'm a would be class of 08 if I wasn't stuck in Iraq right now. It looks more like class of 2010 for me at this point.

If you're just going to be pursuing a general business degree, you could go either way. As long as you have some form of Microsoft Office (They sell Office 2008 to you as it is) you should be fine. Only the engineering/science majors really need something other than a Mac as they are required to have a tablet pc (crazy huh?).

Although the site says Vista Ultimate blah blah, I really don't think that you will have an issue with a Mac. Hey, if you do get one and have any problems in the fall, just PM me, chances are we'll be passing each other on the drill field every day as it is and my favorite hobby is fixing computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.