to buy MacBook Pro or wait?

Reaction score
planning to buy a MacBook pro but it seems to have been a while since they last gave it a good uphaul. You guys think there will be a large upgrade announced in the jan 09 keynote and wait it out? Or not to worry too much about it and go buy the notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Depends what you reckon.. and also what you want from your macbook. I mean yeah they will announce a new one in 2009 with faster cpu etc. but at the moment its a very quick machine... i have the new mb with the 2.4ghz core 2 duo and its quick as. On the other hand the new one will probably feature blueray (i would imagine by 6months time it would have become standard on pretty much everything). As far as brand new technology the last one really only had predictable performance upgrades aswell as multi touch which came from the iphone.. and there has just been WWDC 2008 and nothing really has come out new on the iphone 3G that could be incorporated into a laptop.. however who knows what 6months will bring.. you can be certain it will be faster, maybe more ram and certainly better video but thats not to say the current one is not extremely good. Also the great thing about apple computers is that they decrease in value so slowly compared to normal computers so no reason as to why you shouldn't buy one now and then upgrade if you feel necessary to do so in 09. This is all just what i think and of course there are many other theories out there but i reckon 2009 will be a big year for MB(metal case etc.) not MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
if you are always waiting for the next update you will never buy a computer. technology is always improving so the next thing is always right around the corner. also remember if you buy now your mac wont be outdated for several years or longer.

only steve, and select apple employees know when an update is coming and they dont let people know in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
planning to buy a MacBook pro but it seems to have been a while since they last gave it a good uphaul. You guys think there will be a large upgrade announced in the jan 09 keynote and wait it out? Or not to worry too much about it and go buy the notebook.

Seriously, now. January is seven months from now. Seven months. The propensity for some people to ask, "Should I wait?" is really getting crazy when it's seriously considered to wait more than half a year for a refresh. I'm not denigrating the desire to have the latest and greatest, trust me. It just gets a little "out there" sometimes.

Right now, the MBP is in the middle of its typical (based on previous updates) update cycle. Now's a safe time to buy, because any updates are probably several months away. I'd say that if you really want the machine, go ahead and pick it up. There are always going to be updates, so you'll only have top of the line for a short time anyway. My MBP is 18 months old, and has the old ATI video card in it, but it's still a great machine. You'll enjoy owning it more than waiting for it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.