What do you dislike and/or hate the most about Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
For anyone who runs Windows Vista on their Mac....what do you dislike or hate the most about Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The only thing that bothers me about Vista is that pesky UAC. Otherwise, it's not that bad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really do not like Vista's Memory usage. Otherwise I have no real issues with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't like the heavy memory usage initially, but then I read about why Vista seems to use so much memory, and I realized it wasn't that big a deal. Though I have to admit that practically needing 2GB just to run smoothly is rather insane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
UAC is irritating but other than that I've no real problems with it.

Use it for gaming and as a media centre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Ummm, price. Other than that, it worked fine for me. I have vista Ultimate on a laptop comp thats waiting for my sister to come back to Ga.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
The main problem of Vista to me is that it is so bogged down with unnecesary extras when you first install it. There are like 2 kinds of notepads, tablet PC stuff, and a bunch of other ridiculous things. I also hate vista becase whenever you want to upgrade to it or downgrade from it, the drivers are really hard to find and often I have to search hours for single driver programs. Not only that, but Vista took forever to boot up. My 333mhz computer with windows XP booted up faster than my 2.4ghz computer with vista.

If you think that UAC is annoying, you can turn it off you know. Just go to control panel, then and type in "UAC" into the search box. You'll see a link for "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off. Then uncheck the box with Use User Account Control (UAC) an click okay and then reboot.

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I agree w/ all of you--the UAC is probably the most annoying part about Vista.

The memory usage in Vista is b/c it treats memory more like Cache. MS calls it "SuperFetch" since it tries to pre-load everything it possibly can in order to make the computer appear 'faster'.

We run Vista on one of our Macs at home and it works for the most part, but is much more demanding than XP and just seems "bloated" in comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you think that UAC is annoying, you can turn it off you know. Just go to control panel, then and type in "UAC" into the search box. You'll see a link for "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off. Then uncheck the box with Use User Account Control (UAC) an click okay and then reboot.

I know, it's just that with so many people turning it off as soon as they install it, it's blatantly obvious that it's a hindrance and Microsoft should have either gotten rid of it with SP1 or seriously scaled it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Windows Media Player 11 - ok so maybe not limited to Vista - but that piece of software is horrible. My sister uses Vista and personally I think it's not too bad - for Windows ;) but WMP11 - I hate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I really do not like Vista's Memory usage. Otherwise I have no real issues with it.
I've never liked any version of Windows memory usage. For me, that is the major failing point of Windows period.
I agree, other than that I have no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows Media Player 11 - ok so maybe not limited to Vista - but that piece of software is horrible. My sister uses Vista and personally I think it's not too bad - for Windows ;) but WMP11 - I hate it!

Really? I happen to like WMP 11

Reaction score
I love Vista but I hate that they can't just make one version with everything at a reasonable price. I hope there is only one Windows 7, not even a pro or home just 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Really? I happen to like WMP 11

Maybe it's because I don't use it often, or the complete lack of organisation in my sisters music library, or maybe it's that transferring music via WMP 11 to MP3 player is a little alien to me - I don't know.

Give me my MacBook and iTunes any-day :)

I did install iTunes on her PC but her library is a mess and would have taken a long time to tidy up so just uninstalled iTunes and left her using WMP 11 - she seems to get by with it.

I love Vista but I hate that they can't just make one version with everything at a reasonable price. I hope there is only one Windows 7, not even a pro or home just 1.
Can you imagine what Windows 'fans' are going to say if Snow Leopard is a chargeable update and really does offer no new features. If that does happen then I think all Mac Forums will see a few Windows users stopping by to start the odd flame-war :S

Reaction score

Rather than disabling the UAC, you may want to switch it to operate in the "silent" mode, using this utility:

Disable annoying Vista UAC popups with TweakUAC (FREE)

It's freeware!!...:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.