mb vs. mbp

Reaction score
I am buying a new computer for college this fall, and am leaning towards the macbook instead of the macbook pro. I don't need the larger screen and I am planning on getting the 2.4 ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB hard drive macbook. I figure i can save a few hundred dollars by just upgrading the macbook as much as I can.
I am a music major, so I will mostly be using it for Sibelius, text editing/web browsing and audio mixing/recording. The only thing I'm not able to upgrade is the video card, and I do not need to be able to do high end image/movie editing, and games.

any thoughts? recommendations? (trying to stick to a budget of <$2,000). Also I really like the macbook white. Its just not the same as the brushed aluminum.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
My thought, get the Macbook. Pure and simple, you don't need the MBP. Save yourself the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The MBP has a faster hard drive, a faster GPU and bigger screen. If you don't need that, then go for the MB. The MB is fast as it is, but don't expect games to fly on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
you could save some more by getting a MB with 2gb and upgrade to 4gb yourself instead of doing it through Apple I reckon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB
It cost around $180 to upgrade the RAM straight from Apple if you do it upon initial purchase of the computer. If you buy the standard MacBook with 2 GB RAM and then upgrade later through Apple it cost $200. BUT you CAN buy it with the standard 2 and upgrade it yourself, you can probably expect to pay between $45 and $70 dollars for two Gigs of RAM. I understand this may seem like a hassle to do it yourself but it would be a great way to save a few bucks and maybe snag a new iPod nano or iTouch with the College Studet Discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.