Help: Display Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just received a brand new mac mini (PC convert) and have been trying to get the display to fit my 32" LCD via DVI cable. The problem I had was the screen was a 4:3 resultion being stretched over a 16:9. I downloaded Switchresx and had been tinkering try to get it to configure - to no avail!!

To add a new resoltion a restart is required - I restarted using a custom res that was viewable - only to find that when I restarted I could view the opening apple screen and then my LCD flicked to "frequency not available".

So I need heeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllp on 2 counts really...

Firstly, how can I change the screen settings when I can't see the screen? Is their a safe mode - i've just transferred my 82GB iTunes inc. metadata from PC so don't want to reformat!!

Secondly, why is screenresx so complex. I can't believe the default screen is 4:3. Can anyone give me the screenresx settings Pixel clock, scan etc. for a 32" Hitachi LCD?

I can't believe apples ease of use ethos hasn't spread to this..!!

Really hope you guys can help.

Thanks

Dean

p.s. I know the precautions I should have taken with screenresx!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know how much help I can give you but......

First, do you really need ScreenRes X? Your Mac mini should be able to drive the Hitachi at its native resolution.

Specs for the Hitachi monitor can probably be found under support on the Hitachi web site or in your user manual. You could also try a Google search. Have you done that?

As for the difficulty in setting up the Hitachi monitor (screen going blank), you're probably going to need a second monitor on hand to switch to in order to try out various settings should the monitor shut itself down. It's important to first have on hand the specs for the monitor - its native resolution and maximum vertical frequency (refresh) before making any adjustments.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Did you try just changing the settings under System Preferences> Displays?

I think you're going to need another monitor as Chscag said to sort this one out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.