Is there cheap memory?

Z

zakm52

I am interested in upgraded the memory in my powerbook to somewhere around a gig. Apple wants like $700 for a 1 gig stick. However i found that i can get what seems like the same 1 gig stick on ebay for like $150. So whats the deal. Is there such a thing is cheap or lower quality memory.
Thanks you.

OP
D

Desolate One

No, don't get RAM from ebay. I mean there are honest sellers on there (ME!), however RAM is something you want to get from a reputible source like Crucial. I recently looked at RAM on Crucial and it's about $300 (gig stick) there.

OP
C

Cloudane

DO NOT BUY CHEAP MEMORY FROM EBAY

Sorry to shout, but that's how important it is :) You're almost guaranteed to end up with stability problems, Macs only like top quality memory. Cheap memory, even if it checks out in initial tests, is poor quality... you can have intermittent problems, timing issues etc etc and they may get worse over time.

Crucial is about the cheapest and about the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
go to owc: http://eshop.macsales.com/
theyre often cheaper than crucial, plus you get a lifetime warranty with most memory you buy there. :mac:

OP
H

HuMpS 97 DoHc

I just bought a 512mb sodimm stick of pc 2700 ddr333 for 134 canadian. Its in my ibook right now as I use this and its recognized the memory and its working great. the brand is Apacer. www.apacer.com I bought it from a store in canada called Summit Direct.

thats the cheapest I could find anywhere. the price is less then what crucial charges for a stick of there 512mb in usd funds.

Reaction score
Speaking from experience cheap RAM causes probs. I bought a brand new iBook and put in some ebay bought RAM (it said VTech on the sticker), it was crashing all the time. I was starting to think macs were as unstable as Wins. But changed to some RAM from OWC and it's as smooth as could be.

It's worth the investment, not everything off ebay is the bargain it seems.

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.