Stubborn icon on Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
As a newbie I may have downloaded a file intended for windows somehow. I have an hard drive looking icon on my desktop which returns when I reboot or turn on the computer in the morning even after clicking eject. It does disappear when I do that and nothing shows in the trash but is back on the desktop on the next startup. The name of the icon says "NO NAME" in caps. When I double click it a box comes up with 3 items in it. One says "iStar.exe, the second shows "iStar+userManual_English.pdf and the third item says: Autorun.inf
The box with these 3 items shows finder in the menu bar. I've trashed the 3 items individually and eject the No Name Icon on the desktop, but the next day they are back. Trashing the items along with the icon doesn't have any effect on the computer and it's working without any problems. Get info shows: capacity 1.89 GB, available 1.89 GB, Format MS-DOS (FAT16) and it says created on Monday December 31, 1979. Any way to get rid of it for good? Thanks for a reply and any solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Since upgrading to 10.5.3 my Philips MP3 player, that used to show as Philips now shows as "NO NAME". I'm not totally sure if it has to do with the update or reinstalling the firmware for the MP3 player totally, but it works so it didn't bug me much... Your "NO NAME" might be something similar, so check what's connected by usb maybe? Have you tried a 'get info' on it and maybe that might help for others to guide you as to what to do with it?

Reaction score
Have you got a 2GB USB stick (Or MP3 player etc.) attached to your Mac by any chance?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. Well I do have a new 2 port USB hub 1 gig flash drive plugged into the rear of the alum iMac. Do you think that could be the problem? The reason I've got that two port hub is so that I can have two printers connected and I could use either printer at will.

Reaction score
Are you saying your 2-port USB hub doubles as a 1GB flash drive? If so, then that's most likely it. The Mac desktop is like the "My Computer" window in XP. In Windows, when you plug in a flash drive, it shows up as a removable drive in My Computer. On a Mac, it shows up on the desktop. You can "eject" it by dragging it to the trash, but as long as it's plugged in, it'll keep showing up on boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I do have a new 2 port USB hub 1 gig flash drive plugged into the rear of the alum iMac. Do you think that could be the problem?

Not a problem as such, simply that after ejecting the flash drive, it unmounts from the hardware System, which in turns anticipates the removal of the drive. If you leave the flash drive inserted in the USB hub, every time you restart your Mac, it will mount again on the desktop.

So, you have a choice. If you're not actually using your printers, then pull the hub plug from your Mac; or remove the flash drive each time you unmount it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay thanks to all of you for responding. You all hit the nail on the head and I should have thought about that hub causing that icon to show up on the desktop. That's the first thing that should have come to mind. Well last night I unplugged the hub and when I turned on the computer this morning the icon was gone so all is well. I guess it wouldn't hurt to leave the hub plugged in then connecting my two printers. It should have dawned on me from the beginning that the hub was causing the icon to appear. Sometimes it's the simplest things that are not readily apparent. Thanks again for the reassurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.