Two ?

Reaction score
Alright, I have two questions...

1) How can I rename desktop titles?

2) Time Machine - I've been playing around with Time Machine a bit. I clicked the icon in the lower bar, choose "Set up Time Machine". After, I choose "Choose a backup disk". One backup disk that I see available is what seems to be my Windows XP HD. However, next to Windows HD is says "(Reformat required)". Should I be alarmed at this?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Click on the desktop item (icon title, file name, etc). It should then be highlighted. Once highlighted, you can rename it by entering in a new name, title, and so forth. Note: You can not rename certain items that are used by OS X for the system.

2. Time Machine will only backup to an HFS+ formatted drive or partition. That's the reason it's giving you that message. Anyway, you certainly don't want to use your Windows partition for backup. Purchase an external USB 2 or Firewire HD that's at least as large as your internal HD (preferably larger) and use it for Time Machine backups. It will have to be formatted to HFS+ which you can do from the disk utility.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
1. Click on the desktop item (icon title, file name, etc). It should then be highlighted. Once highlighted, you can rename it by entering in a new name, title, and so forth. Note: You can not rename certain items that are used by OS X for the system.

You in fact need to click twice - with a pause of about 1 second in between clicks. The first click highlights the item name, the second click enables renaming. Simply type in the name you want, you don't need to delete the original name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Easier solution = highlight the item you want, then press enter. Opens the title for renaming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.