Mailbox files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
Where are the data files for my mailboxes in apple mail stored? Are they separated by mailbox or all in one big file like a .pst in MS outlook?

I would like to backup and remove certain mailboxes for possible (but not likely) later access.

Thanks
Gord

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
hd:users:you:library:mail

your default account goes in the 'Mailbox' folder, if you have other accounts they'll have they're own folder w/ a different name,

each accounts separate mailboxes (sent, out, junk etc) are stored in that folder, in a package, w/ their content viewable inside,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can literally drag and drop the entire Mail folder to a DVD or drive for backup and then delete what you want. When I completely dumped my OSX install earlier this year, the mail folder was one of the two things I kept and moved back to the clean setup (My Documents was the other). It worked like a charm as I just replaced the new Mail folder with the old one and everything was just as it had been, including all of my account settings, filters and alerts.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, what I meant was: where are they stored on the hard drive? Can I get to those files through Finder to be able to back them up or save them separately?

Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, baggss - that helped thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sorry, what I meant was: where are they stored on the hard drive? Can I get to those files through Finder to be able to back them up or save them separately?

Thanks

As davidswordd said:

hd:users:you:library:mail

jam2000 said:
Ah, baggss - that helped thanks.

No problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Davidswordd, missed the first line in your reply.

thanks both

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.