'which instant messenger' help please

Reaction score
I know there are already threads about different im's people use but none of them seem to have answered my particular quiery. Can anyone give me a straight answer as to which IM will flash the tab on the bottom of my screen when someone im chatting to has written something, its something i figuired all IM's came with as standard but the one i tried didnt, im sorry ive forgotten the name of the one i tried but its a pretty popular one. Its a small feature but a pretty key aspect of instant messenging because i dont exactly want to keep opening conversations just to see if someones replied.

Thanks in advance guys,
Dejan

OP
D
Reaction score
i did actually try adium as well as another im but for whatever reason once i installed it the im opened as a blank canvas, what was i supposed to do to get it to a) actually have any kind of features and b) upload or manually upload a contacts list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
MSN messenger for Mac doesn't flash at the bottom of the screen when someone messages you, but the MSN icon bounces when you get a message. You click on the icon and window of the person who messages you pops up.

It's not exactly what you want, but it works well for me when I use it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like was said, iChat will bounce the icon in the dock. It's a setting you can enable or disable.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Adium is highly customizable. You can have the contacts name change color when they're typing and have it make a sound/bounce the icon when you have a message.
It also supports Growl so you can run it in the background and Growl will pop up a notifier when you have a message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Adium, you just have to set it up for your likes and go from there:) It's almost as good as Trillan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I love adium too. There are a few things I miss from pidgin (that I used on my pc) - automatic spell correction and grammatic correction - capitalizing the letter i, and being able to set it to do things like have it say "be right back" when i type brb, etc. Also, being able to message a bunch of ppl the same message at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I'm going to be another one to say Adium! This app has so many different ways to customize it that you can literally spend hours just messin' around with the look and feel and sounds and actions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I use amsn, you set in prefs how it will notify you, notify at the side, flash or bounce, individual or tabbed and I'm sure there's more I haven't explored yet... this I think is in amsn, but I think there is also add-ons to expand what is done.. maybe this is also with growl? If it isn't standard, then check the add-ons but as amsn is my current (I tried adium but there's an add-on I like with amsn hehe) I know it notifies you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
ok no one online but you set for bouncing in the prefs for amsn... amsn is much more like msn (webcam etc) from the outset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Agreed to Adium w/ Growl.

OP
D
Reaction score
i downloaded amsn and i can't find a bouncing feature, i can get it to sound an alert which isnt very helpful if i dont have the sound up or i can choose to have a pop up window alert me to each new message which i grew tired of very quickly after the 20th time in 5 minutes i had to delete the stupid pop up window, can anyone explain to me how to get the bouncing function in amsn specifically?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.