'screen' command in unix

W

wiz561

Hi!

I was wondering if somebody could help me with the 'screen' command. For example, what does it do and how does it work (simply)?

I tried reading the man page but it's like 20 pages long and there are so many options. What I want to do is use 'screen' to run a program in the background, log off the server or shut my computer down, and when I come back or login to the server, I can pickup where I left off. Is it possible with this?

Thanks for your help!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think screen is the command you want to use in this case. What is it you want to run (application/program)?

OP
W

wiz561

Hi!

OK... Here's two examples...

1) I'm compiling a program and don't know how long it'll take to finish. It's about 4:55 and I have to leave at 5:00 and it's not going to get done. Normally, I will stop the compile, shutdown, leave work, and start it up again the next day. Is there a way I could "pause" it, shutdown, leave work, turn on the computer hte next day, and pickup where I left off?
2) I'm running a nmap or nessus scan of a very large network. Again, it's 4:55 and it won't get done in 5 minutes. Similar to the first scenario, I'd like to shutdown, etc... The next day, I don't want to start the scan all over, but I'd like to pickup where I left off.

I thought the 'screen' command would be the way to go, but I'm not 100% sure. As I said, I'm just starting to get started in the unix world, and I'm not familiar with all the commands just yet.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do you have to shutdown the system. If you have a lockable screen savers. You could start the compile, lock the screen and then power down the monitor. Then the next day power on the monitor and unlock the screen. Then you can continue working with the compiled object. I am assuming this a desktop.

OP
W

wiz561

Hi!

Actually, this is a laptop. Sorry to be a pain, but the whole screen saver thing would work well if it was a desktop. But with the laptop, I just about always take it home with me so I can do work there. Or, if I'm in the middle of compiling something, I might have a surprise meeting to run to.

I think I could use a 'nohup' for compiling, but what about a gui interface like nessus?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.