what is RAM and what does it do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB
okay so im a bit new to some terms refering to the guts of computers... i was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly RAM is and what more or less of it equates to as far as computer performance and stuff like that. thanks in advance everyone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
RAM - Random Access Memory

Basically it allows your computer to load certain data to the RAM and access it faster than if it was trying to find the data on the hard drive. More RAM will allow your machine to operate faster during heavy application usage where it is constantly accessing your HDD for data (Photoshop, Games, Etc...)

I could get a lot more technical than that, but that seems to answer the question pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Another thing to remember...RAM is volatile, which means that when you turn your computer off, it's erased. That's as opposed to hard drives, floppy disks, magnetic tape, optical media, etc., which are non-volatile: stuff on those things won't be erased upon power-down.

If a tech ever tells you that you need more memory, that means you need more RAM. If you're ever told you need more storage space, that means you need a bigger hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Ram is like your kitchen table at christmas, the larger it is the more food you can put on it at one time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.