• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

eBay Feedback Yes or No?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
I recently found a Treo 700p auction on eBay. And like 11 other people, I bought 2 out of the availiable 21 phones. Now the guy tells us that his wife who listed the auction made a mistake.

He emailed all of use with the same message below:

My friend, I am SO sorry about the 700p auction. It was my wife who made a HUGE error when listing! We are new to Turbo lister and are learning. Instead of putting quantity 1 in the box, she accidentally hit 21!

This is why the auction went for $11 to 21 people! This is a $110 phone and there is no way we can sell for $11. We do not even have 21 units to send people! This was a typo and we are SO very sorry.

I am SO sick over this I cannot tell you. We have NEVER made such a mistake. We HUMBLY ask for your understanding and compassion with this. Of COURSE we will refund all your money and we will leave positive feedback! We simply ask that you PLEASE not leave us neutral or negative feedback that will damage our rating for an honest mistake. We reach out to you for understanding as a decent human being and we pray you will not hurt our rating for this honest mistake.

If you wish to speak to us, the number is (removed for privacy)

Thank you and God Bless you.

Should I leave a negative or neutral or what? Frankly, their long, boring speech looks as fake as a Nigerian Scam. I am super angry :Angry: because they should have went over the auction before they listed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
That's unprofessional and definitely not fair to you.

Neg. rep.

Reaction score
IMHO... I just wouldn't leave feedback. Everyone makes mistakes. They owned up to it and offered you a refund.

OP
MacBookPro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
Actually, I think I will take Derek's advice. I JUST looked at the sellers profile and then saw that the guy posted the same listing with 21 phones AGAIN! Unbelievable! Now I am really angry. Not only is he creating a disturbance to 11 people, but the same thing is happening with more people!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The best thing to do is notify the folks at ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Have you used Turbo lister? I used it on a daily basis and can tell you two things. One, it is incredibly easy to do such a thing. Secondly, although eBay people made Turbo Lister, the two do not play nicely. The Turbo lister ad they made can translate differently once it's uploaded to eBay. I could certainly see such a mistake.
Think about it, $11 for a $100 phone. It sounds like an honest mistake. Who in their right mind would setup one auction to sell 21 phones at once? No one for that very reason. Setting up an auction for more than one at a time will guarantee the sale price with go down significantly. As seen in the closing price of the phone.
I know you're disappointed that you aren't getting the deal you were hoping. Be kind and leave a neutral. At least they came to you and didn't keep your money or make you run through hoops to get it back. They're being quite fair.

I had a co-worker accidentally put of a DSLR on eBay with a Buy-it-Now of $25 new. It was worth $400. It's easy to add or subtract a number in the price or quantity.

Reaction score
Actually, I think I will take Derek's advice. I JUST looked at the sellers profile and then saw that the guy posted the same listing with 21 phones AGAIN! Unbelievable! Now I am really angry. Not only is he creating a disturbance to 11 people, but the same thing is happening with more people!

With that being the case... NEGATIVE!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If they did it again, it sounds like they are looking to scam people. I bet they hope people will send checks or money orders and bail on them while refunding PayPal accounts. I ran into a scammer than seemed to do the same thing. He priced a DSLR well under the retail and refunded my PayPal account. People who sent checks were scammed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
If they did it again, then Negative Rep. I tend to be lenient with eBay folks since I run the IT/eBay section of our store and I used to use Turbo Lister daily. It is a nasty piece of software. Now we use Blackthorne, another nasty piece of software.

If I were you I would report them to eBay and make sure to include the new auction # and that last email. eBay/Paypal won't win any fairness awards but they do sometimes do the right thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Leave a negative.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would have leaned toward just leaving no feedback at all, but seeing as how they're perpetuating the scam (probably just to build their history), I'd say leave a negative too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
If they did the same thing again, I'd definitely negative rep them. They are trying to scam people.

Reaction score
I just wouldn't leave any mate, It probably is just an error as they said and leaving negative is more than likely going to make them do the same with you too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think if it were once I would leave it, but twice doesn't seem much like an accident at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I just wouldn't leave any mate, It probably is just an error as they said and leaving negative is more than likely going to make them do the same with you too.

Since Mid May, sellers may not leave Negative or Neutral feedback for a buyer. So now the entire feedback system is in the control of the buyers. I'm just waiting for this to change again since it is a VERY bad move on eBay's part.:Angry:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm just waiting for this to change again since it is a VERY bad move on eBay's part.:Angry:

Why? Once a buyer has paid for their item, their end of the contract is fulfilled. The problem was that buyers were afraid to leave feedback for fear of reprisal. That shouldn't be the case if the buyer has done their part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why? Once a buyer has paid for their item, their end of the contract is fulfilled. The problem was that buyers were afraid to leave feedback for fear of reprisal. That shouldn't be the case if the buyer has done their part.

What about buyers who don't pay or who prove difficult to work with or decide to try and change terms after the sale?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I say that they let both parties leave whatever feedback they want -- however, not actually PUBLISH the feedback until both parties have left the feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I say that they let both parties leave whatever feedback they want -- however, not actually PUBLISH the feedback until both parties have left the feedback!

Good plan!

Or make sellers do it first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.