access to users' files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.66 Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM 320GB HD
I just set up a user account for my daughter, and I went to 'browse' to her files in finder to find that I am not allowed to view them!!!
I don't remember saying to protect these files.
How do I change access permission.

I eventually want to set up another account for my wife, but I want her to have access to my documents and vice versa. For example, if she runs Aperture, I want to be able to add her photos to a common Aperture library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mark

Reaction score
Right, I am assuming you are an admin on the Mac. Go to the Users folder from Macintosh HD. Select your daughter's home directory. Then you need to select it and right-click (or Control click) and go to Get Info. At the bottom of the window there is a padlock. Click on it. A message box will appear, and you will need to enter your password. Once it is unlocked you can click on the little + in the image shown below:

getinfo.png

Then just add yourself from the list of users that comes up and select which ever option in the right-hand column is most appropriate.

(The image is not mine: it was found on Google).

Robert

p.s. It will be the same when you set up your wife's but you will need to chose her to access your home folder.

OP
tak2mark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great help!! We can now browse each other's files, and Aperture is using my library on both user accounts. My daughter's going to use iphoto. Now, I just need to password protect everything, and we're all set. I'm almost done switching.

Thank you Robert.

-Mark

Reaction score
Hi Mark

Now, I just need to password protect everything, and we're all set.

By this I am assuming that you want certain areas to be kept private, i.e. your documents folder.

Now, if you set everything up correctly, you have automatically password protected these folders as they will appear with a "no entry" symbol on them. This means that some or all standard users can not access them. Administrators can edit permissions still, just like you already have.

So if for instance you wanted your "Documents" folder only visible to you, you would only have your name in the permissions list. If you wanted your wife, but not your daughter, only your wife would need to be put on the list.

I hope everything makes sense,

Robert

OP
tak2mark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What to do

I don't know exactly what I've done.

Initially, when I visited my wife's user folder, all the sub folders (desktop, music, library, etc.) had a little 'do not enter' mark next to them.
I changed permissions and all seemed well until I tried to play Battlefield 2142. It just wouldn't start.
I changed the permissions back and now anyone can browse into my user folder and look at and copy my files. I've removed the extra user I added, and didn't mess with anything else.
I even deleted my wife's user account and all files then created a new one for my daughter. (limited account)
Now when I browse to my user folder in her account, ... I can see everything.
Pls help me set it straight again.

-Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
HI, I'm stuck on this too. I'm using OSX10.4 but I don't see the window as shown in the screenshot above. Obviously missing something along the line.

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what I've done.
I changed permissions and all seemed well until I tried to play Battlefield 2142. It just wouldn't start.
I changed the permissions back and now anyone can browse into my user folder and look at and copy my files. I've removed the extra user I added, and didn't mess with anything else.
I even deleted my wife's user account and all files then created a new one for my daughter. (limited account)
Now when I browse to my user folder in her account, ... I can see everything.
I'm not entirely sure about how changing folder permissions can lead to applications not starting, unless it is stored in a folder where you have locked yourself out. Make sure it is in your Applications folder and all users can access that.

HI, I'm stuck on this too. I'm using OSX10.4 but I don't see the window as shown in the screenshot above. Obviously missing something along the line.

To access the Get Info window, you need to select a file or folder in Finder and go to File - Get Info. Then you need to follow my instructions in the second post on changing permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.