Surround sound on MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I want to buy these speakers for some decent surround sound (movies, music, games etc..): Logitech Z-5500.
Is there anything I need beside the speakers? How do I connect those to my MBP (current gen)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I'm presuming that those speakers, like most computer surround speakers, connect using the standard three-plug method (green, orange, black). That being the case, you're going to need a device that can work with those three plugs to get true surround. You can connect them all to your headphone port with a W-splitter if you want, but that method doesn't get you real surround sound.

I recommend a product like this one: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/#

It's an external Firewire sound controller that can interface directly with the surround system. I just got myself one last week ($29 marked down from $99 was a good deal, imho), and hooked it up to my old Creative surround system. Works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
I agree with josh but I also read some specs and it did say that it supported 6 channel, stereo 2x and stereo so I am thinking that you can use just the headphone jack also...?

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
So, do I need that Firewave for 'real' surround sound or not?

jah

Reaction score
the macbook pro has an optical output. run an optical cable from the macbook pro to a Creative decoder ddts-100 box. i have some giga creative speakers.

-where i have dont this hookup with the macbook pro and it sounds ok the controlling macbook software is some what odd. the software does not have any settings or control, still sounds ok

-Creative products can sometimes not have enough reliability to be a worth wile purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.