Refurbished Mac computers.. Great deal or Expensive paper weight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting a refurbished product. Im hearing some good things and some bad but i just wanted to know if anyone went this route, have you had any problems, and how long your have had your machine.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Great deal... you get a huge price discount and the same warranty as a new one.. I'd buy refurbished and add AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i havent gotten a refurb computer from apple but i have gotten a refurb ipod. it looked brand new and didnt have a problem until my fiance decided it needed to go thru the washing machine.

my next mac will most likely be a refurb mac. they come with a one year warranty from your purchase date. they qualify for apple care, and with the exception of the original box they will appear brand new when opened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
I have them, saves money and they are identical to new, brilliant plus often with extra software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.4Ghz,2GB Ram, 250 HD
i just got a new, well refurbished macbook (black) and so far sooooo good. yay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes the 2nd imac i bought was a refurbished one.
Saved about $300 and got a wireless mighty mouse included.
No Problems what so ever.
Even came in the original box.
If you didn't know it was refurbished you couldn't tell.
Plus think about it......Not all macs are completely checked, say 1 in 10 etc.
So a refurbished one is actually BETTER.
It even comes with the noraml 12 month warrenty, so how can you lose?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro (Core Duo model) in December of 2006. I found it to be as good as new - in fact, the only difference was that the packaging was a generic brown box instead of the normal, fancy packaging. Otherwise, the warranty is exactly the same. So, even if there was a problem (cosmetic or otherwise), you could always have it repaired or replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
I bought my 24" iMac refurb, no problems with at all. Saved a few bucks and happy I did. I'd buy another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Search this site and you'll see this has been answered often and mostly in the positive.

Reaction score
Mine are new, however I have friends who have bought refurb and are very happy with them.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Excellent! Thank you all for the information. It sounds like a no brainer to me. Get the same computer for less money, ill take the refurb!!

I have asked around on top of posting here and it seems that just about over 97% of people have nothing but good things to say about getting refurbished products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(White) 2.4GHz/4GB RAM
bought my first mac mini refurbed and i loved it...used it heavily for three year until i got a new comp and now i have it hooked up to my television.still works just fine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video 30GB | Black macbook 2.2 gHz 1GB RAM 160 GB hard drive
I got a black macbook refurbished and its great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
Another refurb here, and it was absolutely perfect. Still is ;)

Got my 5G iPod refurb as well a couple years ago.

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 17" 2.4Ghz that's a refurb and so far no problems. There are some little hints that it's been opened up, but otherwise it's not recognizable as a refurb beyond the serial number. I even got Applecare on it.

Reaction score
I got a question about refurbished products as well!

If someone sent back a Mac or iPod with a scratch on the casing or screen, would they fix that as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
It's hard to say definitively, but both my iPod and MBP were cosmetically perfectly new in appearance. No scratches, smudges, marks, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
The cost is so minimal for them to replace whatever needs it to be brand new again so in most cases that is what you get. I could not even fathom my imac was a refurb. The only way is that I payed quite a bit less than 'the other guy' and I also got a bigger HD than I ordered. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
My refurb was in perfect condition. No one would have guessed it was a refurb if i didn't tell them. The only deference is the brown apple box and not the pretty retail one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.