What backup software do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.66 Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM 320GB HD
I am currently using 'Time Machine'. I like the interface, but I'm looking for options.
What backup software do you use?

-Mark

Reaction score
I used Backup for years - It worked great for me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Custom script :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I use backup for some things, bash scripts for others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just use two external hard drives, one of which I keep here at home and one that I keep at work. Every time I make a backup I exchange them. That way even if some terrible disaster happens to my home, I haven't lost my data.

What software do I use for the backup? None. Or perhaps more properly, just good ol' Finder. I do the equivalent of just dragging my home folder onto the external hard drive. That copies all of my personal stuff there. I don't bother with saving the OS configuration and installed programs. That is easy enough to restore if need be, and not saving them off each time saves lots of time and backup drive space. In the end, it is your personal files (photos, movies, music, budgets, etc.) that you REALLY need to protect.

So, why spend money on anyone's backup software? External drives are so large and so fast these days, there is no need.

Time Machine is a pretty good alternative though, I have to admit. I just don't like the idea of it cranking away when it choses to. I like to be in control of the major tasks my computer does, not have it deciding for me... Call me paranoid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
no software like mac57.
just copy/paste ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SuperDuper (registered) to me is the best and fastest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I use Time Machine and think it's the next best thing besides sliced bread. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
I used SuperDuper! during the time I used Tiger. Now that I'm on Leopard, I roll with Time Machine. I've been comtemplating getting an additional external drive, using SuperDuper! to make it bootable and store the second drive offsite somewhere. What good is a backup if a real disaster happens huh? However, if a real disaster occurs, what's on my computer will be the least of my worrries initially. But, when everything clears, it would be nice to have everything from my computer back again. There are things like pictures which are simply priceless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Nothing -- I just burn my irreplaceable stuff to CD or DVD via Toast. I AM seeking a good backup program, though, that will make CD/DVD backups easier to do....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I use time machine, before that I used .mac sync. I also use my FTP server which is part of my website for my most important student work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
how do you do a complete system restore on timemachine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I use Time Machine with an external harddrive.

By what I've read, you need to boot the mac with the Install dvd then find Time Machine and restore from there. You need your external HDD connected as you need to select a backup from that drive to copy over to your mac.
If I'm wrong, please correct me:)
how do you do a complete system restore on timemachine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
so I can't just do "enter time machine" and have something to click?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I use Time Machine onto a Time Capsule and SuperDuper onto a USB external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Time machine just blows my mind every time I use it. It's a brilliant idea - going into the past and dragging files forward into the future is the work of a genius.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.