And for the 8th mouse button...

C

Cloudane

I'm just curious really.

Out of all the switchers here (especially those that complain about only 1 button) how many people

0. Were happy with 1 button (added this as an afterthought.. in the PC world it's unlikely)
1. Were happy with 2 buttons
2. Happy with 2 buttons and a scrollie
3. Actually *used* the 3rd button
4. Actually *used* the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th buttons?
5. Bought one of those multi-button mice but only used 2-3?

I'm 2 and 5. Bought a Logitech mouse and thought great, about 10 buttons and some software to set all their functions. But in the end I only used 3 buttons, and only the third due to Linux. Despite how useful they sounded, I never ever used those other side buttons and whatnot.

OP
D

Desolate One

I actually don't mind the single button. With the command/option/ctrl keys you can do more then enough. Granted I'm speaking from my usage with my iBook, not a desktop system (read: TrackPad). But who knows, I'm hoping to replace my desktop with this beauty sooner or later. However I think by that time I'll have gotten so use to the single button it'll be second nature. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I have an XP with a 4 buttons & Scroll wheel mouse and use them all :)
I was reasonably happy with the one button Mac rodent but ended up getting the MacMice one with 3 plus scroll. Basically lazy, but find I use far more key board shortcuts on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I found the keyboard replacements for right click and everything just fine. Plus, the Mac mouse is the coolest, I could never replace it! :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
the macmice are really cool to.

OP
M

matoo

I tried the one button mouse for a bit but ended up switching to my kensington 5 button wireless optical. And yes I use all 5 + the scroll wheel. :teen:

OP
R

Rotendo

I can't live withour forward/back buttons and a scroll wheel. Oh, also right click. =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I'm perfectly happy with the single mouse button, and as others have said, the mac single-button mouse is too cool to replace!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Put it next to the G5 and it looks completely out of place. The mac mouse suits the iMac, eMac and iBook with all intents and purposes. Design wise, white plastic goes with white plastic. Also, You're not really going to do anything with those machines that would really necessitate a multi button mouse.

Shift over to a Power Mac and it's an entirely different story. If you've got a G5 and don't need a multi button mouse then you've bought yourself a G5 for the wrong reasons.

Anyone who claims they are just as productive using Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and/or Maya using the apple mouse than someone using more than one button is lying...unless they have 10 fingers on their left hand (assuming that they are right handed of course!)

It's just common sense. Your right hand moving the mouse and being able to click only one button isn't optimising what you have available. There are at least three digits on your mouse hand not doing anything, and as pretty as the mac mouse is, that just isn't efficient.

One last point, most first person shooters are designed to be used with, at least, a two button mouse.

But, of course, all the above is only my own personal opinion! ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
When I had a PC I used all 4 buttons and scroll wheel on my mouse, and used the same mouse when I got my Mac (two side buttons for Expose), but recently bought a 1 button Apple Bluetooth mouse, and haven't had any problem adjusting to it! And it's very pretty! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
3-button-scrollwheel (integrating the 3rd button) and the keyboard is all I need to be productive, with any hardware, OS and software.

At the beginning when I had my Mac, I was quite surprised that I didn't really miss the second button, but after some use, I especially missed a scroll wheel. And the 3rd button is very handy also for those people that mainly use their Mac for surfing, it opens a link in a new tab, instead opening a new window... :cool:

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

When I first got the iBook, my friend with the powerbook immediately suggested the Logitech scroll mouse. I have used it for quite a long time.

I guess I don't care if the mouse looks out of place with the rest of the computer (too long living with a Wintel machine I guess) In fact, when I got me eMac, I traded the one button mouse for my two button(three if you include the scroll wheel) intellimouse.

The only good thing I can think of for getting a Trackball mouse again, is that the little plastic feet will take a lot longer to fall off :)

I've had the Logitech mouse for about 3 years, and the feet have come unglued and fallen off. It still works like a charm though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i want to get logitech mx700 any comments?

OP
D

danger_boy_13

the_New_guy said:

I have this mouse on my PC (my PowerBook arrives tomorrow), and I love it. It has enought weight to it to know its there, but it isn't super-heavy. The fact that is has a recharging cradle just makes it that much better. It is very responsive and precise in my usage of it (3d studio max, photoshop, audio editing). I am probably going to buy an mx500 or 510 when I get my PowerBook so that I still have the functionality (the 500/510 are the corded versions of the 700, if you didn't know).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I use a 3-button scrollie logitech mouseman rodent (gosh, that was a mouthfull) and use all of the buttons (except the 4th one integrated in the scroll wheel).

The button on the side is programmed to exposé and I find it extremely practical...

But I could live without it. For video & audio editing however, the right mouse button is a must-have feature IMO, ctrl-clicking is ok for occasional tasks, but doing it constantly would annoy me.

A friend of mine didn't even know ctrl-clicking brought up a context menu - and he's used mac since 1984.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am think of buying the mx 500. 510 or 700.

i have a non rechargeable cordless mouse it eats allot of power.

OP
C

Cloudane

the_New_guy said:

Yes, the battery life is *very* poor. If you do get it, get two, or make sure you're religious about putting it on charge every night :) They last about 5 days maximum, usually about a day and a half and it's *really* annoying when it goes flat all the time leaving you stuck without pointer movement.

Unless they fixed them of course, but I got two and they're both the same. The older Logitech cordless opticals were marvellous, they'd last for like 6 months on alkalines.

OP
S

sivp

Desolate One said:
I actually don't mind the single button. With the command/option/ctrl keys you can do more then enough. Granted I'm speaking from my usage with my iBook, not a desktop system (read: TrackPad). But who knows, I'm hoping to replace my desktop with this beauty sooner or later. However I think by that time I'll have gotten so use to the single button it'll be second nature. :)

I even got used to it, on my windows laptop, i keep dragging files into the recycline instead of hitting the delete key (still works though) and i keep pressing "alt" where the command key is on the apple keyboard to right click..

It's hard playin around with a mac and then working on an windows computer.... I think i better buy an ibook or powerbook. It may have to be a ibook cause i spent all my money on a powermac. lol

OP
L

LClark1L

One button is fine, but scroll wheels and a right-click are godsend, especially on a laptop where my stubby digits get crowded.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
8 buttons. Click, right click, 3 exposé buttons, iTunes pause/play, iTunes next, iTunes previous, as well as a scroll wheel that goes up and down as well as left to right.

So who wants to donate to my dream mouse fund?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.