A few questions

Reaction score
Hello all, right now I am looking into getting a new laptop for use with school and such. After doing some research it seems that apple computers are very reliable with great customer service (i'm sure you all already know this, but I've been using PC my whole life so its kind of new to me). Really I was just wondering how easy it would be to upgrade a macbook in terms of RAM and hard drive space because I was kind of looking to save some money when I first bought it and just get the one with 2 gigs of ram and 160 gigs of hard drive space and upgrade each one of those later. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok, thanks alot for the help :). Just wondering though, how easy is it to upgrade the mac book? I took a look at the guide you provided and while it looks very easy, I don't have a whole lot of experience upgrading computers and the last thing I would want to do is to mess up a laptop that I spent around 1500 on.

Reaction score
Upgrading the MB is the easiest out of all the notebooks they offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
It's extremely easy. As long as you're competent when it come to handling RAM etc and follow the instructions you will have no problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 150 GB
Just a quick question related to upgrading the RAM...

Will upgrading the RAM or any other parts on my own invalidate the warranty or AppleCare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 150 GB
Now I'm very tempted to get a cheaper model to upgrade it on my own! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I wouldn't think upgrading the HD is easy. I wouldn't dare opening a $1000 laptop to save $100. If you break something, the warranty would be voided. They give you the instructions but say the HD needs to be upgraded by a certified tech if I am not mistaken.
The RAM upgrade is simple though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Oh wow, that is pretty simple. The old iBooks I am used to working on require you to literally take apart the entire computer just to get to the HD. I thought the early MacBooks were the same. Maybe the newest models are designed a little better.

OP
O
Reaction score
I also have a question regarding the maximum amount of ram for a mac book. In this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651?viewlocale=en_US it says that the maximum amount of RAM that a macbook supports is only 2 GB but on apples website you can upgrade the amount of RAM to 4GB. I'm just wondering is there is something I am missing here or if that article is wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have a question regarding the maximum amount of ram for a mac book. In this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651?viewlocale=en_US it says that the maximum amount of RAM that a macbook supports is only 2 GB but on apples website you can upgrade the amount of RAM to 4GB. I'm just wondering is there is something I am missing here or if that article is wrong.

It's 4GB. Started from late 2007 and up for the Macbook.

OP
O
Reaction score
Ahh ok. Sorry about that, on the article I had read it said it was last modified on may of 2008 so I just kind of figured it would have been recent news. Anywho, thanks for the information. Very helpful and appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh ok. Sorry about that, on the article I had read it said it was last modified on may of 2008 so I just kind of figured it would have been recent news. Anywho, thanks for the information. Very helpful and appreciated :)
Not a problem. I noticed that myself. It must be a misprint...:Smirk:

Good places to look for ram, when you're ready.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=293
http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.