Returning to Mac

Reaction score
I have a G4-Sawtooth--ten years old. Runs OS9, have Tiger installed but live in 9 because of all my outdated softwear. Two years of PC at work. Coming to newest 10 is like a third OS to me. I feel I could almost go either way (PC vs. Mac) but liked Mac. Don't want to go Vista.

I do print graphics and writing--want to get into web. I'm thinking very serious about going back out on my own. Will be getting Adobe OS3 Design Premium.Will only be new to Dreamweaver and Flash. Also getting Office-Home version--Word, Excel and Powerpoint--the only MS programs I've had to learn. Do a lot of corporate work, oversized publications, tradeshow work, catalogs, etc., so will want a workhorse tower. Many questions. Need answer from graphic professionals.

I am pretty decided on Apple-Mac Pro 8-Core (2 Quad-Core 3GHz Intel Xeon Processors) 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 7300GT, Two SD's-Mac Pro. Will upgrade ram myself to 4GB from non-apple source--sell off the 2GB that comes with it.

Will pickup used (cheap) PC laptop for writing purposes and internet use on the road. Will load baby Photoshop program that comes with scanner on that.

Will probably upgrade my monster AccuSync 120 20" monitor for a flat-screen 22". Thinking ViewSonic-VG2230wm 22 Widescreen Graphic Series LCD-Monitor for $280 or Samsung-2253BW 22 Widescreen LCD Display-Monitor for $318.

Upgrading Umax Astra 2200 scanner to Epson-Perfection 4490 Photo Flat Bed Scanner.

My questions:

Are the above good hardware choices?

I remember the font management problems for the short time I worked on OS X at my last job. Didn't like the Apple solution--keep all my fonts open and active all the time. Any feedback on the new Suitcase or other third party font management add ons?

Think it's cost effective to get Quark 7 (or 8 when it comes out)? It's been almost eight years since I worked someplace where I had to switch up on clients' account. Give me opinions.

Loved my Tech Tools and Disk Warrior to keep my OS9 happy and healthy. What's the best utilities out there now?

What about virus protection? I've been living under IT people who "managed" my machines for the last eight years. What should I get?

Does the new OS X run classic? I have a few secondary programs (Fontographer and Bar Code Pro in particular) that I'm not ready to upgrade but don't want to get rid of. Will keep my G4 just for those if not able to use them on my new machine. (Will be giving old equipment/software to non-profit--how much should I give them?)

Is there a really good OS X "bible" I should get to teach me about this operating system like I learned OS9--inside out. I'm not going to have co-workers and hired IT people to feed off of anymore? Something along the line of David Blatner's Quark book--that complete.

Finally, what am I forgetting or unaware of that you think I should be know?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a G4-Sawtooth--ten years old. Runs OS9, have Tiger installed but live in 9 because of all my outdated softwear. Coming to newest 10 is like a third OS to me.

Fellow feeling, when I changed from the beloved OS 9 to X, two years ago. Adjustment takes a little while, but it's good.

I do print graphics and writing - so will want a workhorse tower. I am pretty decided on Apple-Mac Pro 8-Core (2 Quad-Core 3GHz Intel Xeon Processors) 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 7300GT, Two SD's-Mac Pro.

That little lot will take everything you throw at it.

Will upgrade ram myself to 4GB from non-apple source

OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/ will be the best buying place for what you seek to do.

Upgrading Umax Astra 2200 scanner to Epson-Perfection 4490 Photo Flat Bed Scanner.

On another forum, the question was asked 'What brand scanner?' and the overwhelming majority of responses was 'Canon'. They work very well with Mac and the software is good to use.

Loved my Tech Tools and Disk Warrior to keep my OS9 happy and healthy. What's the best utilities out there now?

Disk Warrior is recommended for X. Use Onyx as well for doing your permissions repairs and system cleaning.

What about virus protection?

Won't be necessary. Look elsewhere on Mac-Forum for questions and answers about using (or not) a-v software.

You've asked a lot of questions - and good on you - will leave the others to others :D

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, Hughvane!

I will look into Cannon scanners.

Anyone out there? Will Leopard run classic for those two side programs I rarely need but can't do without for packaging, catalog work (adding logos or specialty dingbats without using inline graphics or "hand-placed graphics", or book work (Bar Code Pro and Fontographer)? I'd really like to donate my old G4 to a school, student or somebody who could make better use of it daily than me waiting for the odd assignment that needs it.

Any input into this would be greatly appreciated. I'm hitting my 401K to get it and it's really scary, thinking I could have done better. I only want to pull what I need and I won't be pulling again.

Thank, Hughvane. I really appreciate your input.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, Hughvane!

I will look into Cannon scanners.

Anyone out there? Will Leopard run classic for those two side programs I rarely need but can't do without for packaging, catalog work (adding inline logos or "handplaced" art within text) or book work (Bar Code Pro and Fontographer)? I'd really like to donate my old G4 to a school, student or somebody who could make better use of it daily while it still has life left in it than me waiting for the odd assignment that needs it.

Any input into this would be greatly appreciated. I'm hitting my 401K to get it and it's really scary, thinking I could have done better. I only want to pull what I need and I won't be pulling again.

Thank, Hughvane. I really appreciate your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Unfortunately Leopard does not run classic mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.