MacBook for dental student

Reaction score
This is my junior year in college, basically 1 1/2 year left before I enter dental school. I decided to switch from pc to mac because of all the problems the pc is having. It cost less but with all the software to run it smoothly ends up costing the same. However, I have never use a mac, but seen my cousin and friend have one. It was pretty neat as the interface looks kool and more easy to navigate. The main functions I needed it for is browsing the internet, d/l some music, play some movies, and most of all type papers. (Wireless is a must ) Can I use wireless internet with the two computers below? I want it to last at least 3 or 4 years. I'm not really into computer games hence I have a xbox 360 and ps3.

I basically think the macbook is good enough for me. I saw online that there's a base macbook that has 2.1 ghz, 1gb memory, and 120gb hardrive. The other one that slightly cost more is 2.4 ghz, 2gb memory, and 160 gb hadrive. I dont really know much about computers, what is the major diffrence between 2.1 and 2.4 ghz? I also read that you can order a bigger memory and install it in for cheaper online? Can these computers run windows x/p and the OS from apple as well?

The new promotion they having is really tempting with a free ipod. I can also get it with a student discount. So basically the higher end cost $200 more, but I want to know is it really much of a difference because I can use the spare money to buy apple care protection plan just incase something happens. Some guy told me you can buy apple care on ebay, I dont know if that's even possible since its a protection plan? Does amazon have the free ipod deal as well? I'm just asking because they don't charge tax and shipping is free. Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to make sure before I invest in a macbook. I know money is tight for me now, but in 5 years I won't have to worry hopefully lol. :D

Oh yeah I have heard that they are redesigning the macbook in the 3rd quarter of this year? Do you think I should wait because I won't go back to college until late august. Ok so apple has a protection plan and apple care? WHich one you guys recommend on getting?

Reaction score
webcam problem

can you help me i have a imac g5 intel. my built in webcam has stopped working any suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
This is my junior year in college, basically 1 1/2 year left before I enter dental school. I decided to switch from pc to mac because of all the problems the pc is having. It cost less but with all the software to run it smoothly ends up costing the same. However, I have never use a mac, but seen my cousin and friend have one. It was pretty neat as the interface looks kool and more easy to navigate. The main functions I needed it for is browsing the internet, d/l some music, play some movies, and most of all type papers. (Wireless is a must ) Can I use wireless internet with the two computers below? I want it to last at least 3 or 4 years. I'm not really into computer games hence I have a xbox 360 and ps3.

I basically think the macbook is good enough for me. I saw online that there's a base macbook that has 2.1 ghz, 1gb memory, and 120gb hardrive. The other one that slightly cost more is 2.4 ghz, 2gb memory, and 160 gb hadrive. I dont really know much about computers, what is the major diffrence between 2.1 and 2.4 ghz? I also read that you can order a bigger memory and install it in for cheaper online? Can these computers run windows x/p and the OS from apple as well?

The new promotion they having is really tempting with a free ipod. I can also get it with a student discount. So basically the higher end cost $200 more, but I want to know is it really much of a difference because I can use the spare money to buy apple care protection plan just incase something happens. Some guy told me you can buy apple care on ebay, I dont know if that's even possible since its a protection plan? Does amazon have the free ipod deal as well? I'm just asking because they don't charge tax and shipping is free. Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to make sure before I invest in a macbook. I know money is tight for me now, but in 5 years I won't have to worry hopefully lol. :D

Oh yeah I have heard that they are redesigning the macbook in the 3rd quarter of this year? Do you think I should wait because I won't go back to college until late august. Ok so apple has a protection plan and apple care? WHich one you guys recommend on getting?

2 ways to buy:
the baseline mb will be fine for you! But the next level up has a dvd burner, more ram, and a larger HD, all for only 200$ (which id recommend youll be happier with). If your looking to save a little more cash, go google "apple refurb". its a great way to save another 5-20% on apples. Everything is in wonderful shape, you just dont get the shiny apple box.

I recommend picking up the free ipod, even though you have to pay for it. Youll get your money fast, i always have. You cant do the ipod deal with the refurb store, so really, you should just buy new if you want the ipod. If you dont want the ipod, buy it anyways, get the rebate, and sell it on ebay for 200$.

Are you using any special programs for dentistry school? You might one day, so be prepared to have to install windows via bootcamp (which is easy as cake). I really think if you want the laptop to last 3-4 years, just get the upper level white (2.4/2GBram/160GB hd), they are really about the same speed wise, but you get that important dvd burner, and RAM which youll buy anyway. You will probably wanna get some RAM from newegg.com for about 40$. The macs really like 2GB of ram to be comfy.
You can wait as long as you want for a redesign. It "could" come this year, it might not. Theres always rumors. If you wanna enjoy the laptop now, wait till this week is over (apples developer conference). If nothing new is released, just buy something to enjoy till AUG.

If you wanna wait, then wait, but you wont have it to have fun with. You also will need a week or so to get used to it, which is why getting it now while school is out is a better idea.

My advice:
If you get the low model:
buy it this week. Enjoy it. Get to know it before school. Get office 2008. And be happy. oh, and the free pod, but sell it on ebay. :) lastly, spend the 50$ on newegg.com and get some Ram.
If you buy the upper level White model:
just enjoy it. Everything is all done for you, no RAM upgrade necessary, HD space should be good for a bit. Just buy office.

If you buy the baseline and upgrade the RAM, youve spent another 50$. If you want a dvd burner, youll have to go external, another 50-80$. By now, your almost up to that 200$ additional amount in the first place. In the end of your upgrading, youll still have the slower (but not slow) Processor. Either processor will last 3-4 years with that usage, but its nice to buy something and not have to upgrade it at all. Get the 2.4.
can you help me i have a imac g5 intel. my built in webcam has stopped working any suggestions

Make a new thread. people will never see you in here because of the title, and its considered rude to some to steal another persons thread :) Just heads up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They probably won't introduce new models before the start of term, so I'd take the iPod promotion while you can and just be prepared for the new model to be released in September ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
you really cant go wrong with your decision, either way. Since you have light needs, you may wanna opt for the lower model, and buy RAM if you need it.

If you dont burn dvd's it might be the best course of action for you. Save some money, and spend it on other more important stuff, like said applecare.

Decisions are hard when you "cant go wrong". There is nothing to look at then besides what you need, VS what you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.