Codecs needed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17", 1920x1200 matte LED display, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, 512MB VRAM
Hey everyone. I'm trying to get a list of all the software, utilities, and programs that I will need to install on my new MacBook Pro for all the tasks that I'll need to accomplish (FTP transfers, watching DVDs, listening to music, etc.). I am pleased to discover that Leopard already comes with a lot of cool stuff for me to accomplish these things, however, I'm finding that there are a few things that I'll need to install myself. One of the things I have a question about is codecs. Will I need to install some sort codec pack on my Mac? If so then what's the best codec pack available for Mac? On my Windows PC I installed the popular K-Lite codec pack which seemed to decode everything I downloaded. I'm not sure if the same thing is needed for a Mac or not.

I'm combing through the Mac Product Guide (http://guide.apple.com/) to see what software is available for each specific task that I need to perform and nothing really showed up under "codec pack."

Thanks! :D

OP
BeaufordBuddy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17", 1920x1200 matte LED display, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, 512MB VRAM
Thanks shfle. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Those two that shfle gave the URL for should take care most of your video files. If you have any files you have problems with, be sure to ask.

OP
BeaufordBuddy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, VLC was on my list of software to install. I have it on my PC and it is an amazing little program. It can even play incomplete downloaded files.

Man I can't wait for my MacBook to get here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
Yes, VLC was on my list of software to install. I have it on my PC and it is an amazing little program. It can even play incomplete downloaded files.

Man I can't wait for my MacBook to get here!
Same deal on the Mac. It is a little flaky with incomplete files though, often crashing at the end of the clip. But you can just force-quit from the dock or opt-cmd-esc, and restart it with no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.